Wickes Silicone Sealant

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Glad its Friday, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Just finishing off a bathroom job and picked up some of the above when a found I didn't have any of my usual Dow Corning 785 on the van. Disaster! Just had to take off the shower surround as I couldn't stop the leaks and found that the Wickes stuff just hadn't gone off properly (yes I did leave it 24 hours). Only bonus was that it cleaned off (worryingly) easily.

Anyone else used this stuff recently and had the same trouble? Thinking of buying some....be careful.

2. fil0

fil0 New Member

Yes, wickes silicone sealant is totally cr*p (as are many of their glues, paints etc. - have used it twice - is too soft and takes weeks (yes weeks!) to set. Will never use it again - I always use Unibond sealants

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Dow is the best, Unibond is OK too if you can't get Dow. Always avoid anything own label.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Cheers guys - had a tube of Dow on the van but my apprenti threw it with the empty tube. What can you do?!
    Be aware everyone, the Wickes silicon is no good, don't even think of using it.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

The Wickes stuff used to be very good. I'm not sure when it changed but it is dreaful now, very runny, impossible to get it looking good

6. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Wickes stuff is terrible - and that includes their whole range IMO.

I used their tile adhesive once - that was enough. I got called back to that job to replace tiles 3 weeks after they went up.

I ended up lining the wall with hardibacker and re tiling, which the customer paid for anyway. To be fair it was in a new shower cubicle, but the adhesive did say it was waterproof.

I never chuck anything away but I did this time.

No I'll only use BAL products in a bathroom. I'll use a wider range in a kitchen, but not Wickes!

7. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Wickes = cheap rubbish, worse than B&Q now and about as bad as Homebase.

AVOID!

8. Cornish Crofter

......and that pretty much speaks for the whole range that they sell.

9. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Shame, they used to be quite good until Travis Perkins took them over, nowadays they are useless.

10. Cornish Crofter

The thing is I've used Travis Perkins sealant and tile adhesive and have been very pleased with it.

I'm now using the Dow Corning 785 from here.