Widening cooker hood ducting vent

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Needing help!, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Needing help!

Needing help! New Member

Advice needed!

We've been told that our cooker hood was fitted with a 100mm diameter vent hole for the ducting. We want to replace cooker hood and the one I like recommends a 150mm diameter hole. Is this possible? Would I need a builder to do it? How much might this cost?

2. Needing help!

Needing help! New Member

Extra info. Current cooker hood is installed in brand new build (about to complete on house purchase) AEG DKB4950M. I'm questioning if the 100mm is actually incorrect, as I'm hoping I can ask builder to widen to 150mm.

The hood I'm after, and hope to install after completion, is LA-90-CVD-BLK and the manufacturer (Luxair) be installed with a 150mm ducting.

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Your current AEG DKB4950M should have been fitted with a 150mm duct (have a look here, and expand the schematic diagram, it clearly shows 150mm ducting: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/aeg-dkb4950m-chimney-cooker-hood-stainless-steel-10187213.html)
    You have every right to demand that the builder re-drills the hole through the wall, as the hood is fitted incorrectly.

CGN, WillyEckerslike and Astramax like this.
  4. Needing help!

Needing help! New Member

Oh thanks so much! I couldn't find it on the AEG website, nor could their customer service agent! I never even thought to look on high street shop websites for the installation guide! Silly me! I've gone back to the builders to insist on them re-drillng the hole and refitting the hood.

How much should we expect to pay, once we've moved in, to have this hood removed and our new one installed?

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You can't expect your builder to do anything more than actually duct the hood they have fitted to the correct size.
    As for the new hood you want to install................unless the ducting is above the hood motor of your new hood...............you will still have to have a new hole core drilled through the wall anyway.
    For a one off job, assuming you lived very very close to me......................and i even had a spare day to do it £300.

6. Needing help!

Needing help! New Member

Oh no, I do not expect the builder to install a new hood. Thanks for letting me know the likely price for such a job. I also didn't expect you to do it! Just wanted some trusted and informed information. We live in Yorkshire.