Widening fireplace + adding lintel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tobymcpherson, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Tobymcpherson

Tobymcpherson New Member

Morning all,

Bought a house I'm doing some work on and have removed the gas fireplace to reveal a nice old fireplace. Its not quite wide enough for a freestanding wood burner so I'm hoping to removing half a brick from each side. I've removed plasterboard fairly high and cant see an obvious metal or stone lintel, only assuming the arched bricks do that job?!
    My question is can I remove the arched bricks to put a wider concrete lintel in? I could maybe even get away with putting the lintel in lower than the arch. I'll try and add a picture!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Do a search on Correct Size Lintel and tick search titles only box and info plus more is there

Tobymcpherson likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The brick arch is basically the lintel.

4. Tobymcpherson

Tobymcpherson New Member

Thought this might be the case, doesn't look too sturdy to me! It's been there 100years though so not doing a bad job..:)

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You should be able to easily replace with a concrete lintel.

In my old house i had arched bricks but they were higher up as when i opened it up it was good sized early victorian fire place size. I put in a new concrete lintel just below the arch as it was up quite a bit higher than yours.

6. Tobymcpherson

Tobymcpherson New Member

Brilliant! How did you do it? Just remove the brick arch and pop a brick or so out either side?(I understand you have to have the correct overlap) I would imagine as the fireplace is so narrow it will be fine suspended for a very short period whilst I put the lintel in?!

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

And even if it wasn't you would only get a max of 8 bricks dropping on your head which can easily be put back after you have put the lintel in

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

1/2 brick (4") for bearing on each side is more than ample.

10. Tobymcpherson

Tobymcpherson New Member

Excellent, thank you all for the advice! A job for the weekend I imagine. Will post some after pics if I remember.

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

We love pics here

Tobymcpherson likes this.