Wiidening work top

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by peajay, Sep 13, 2006.

1. peajay

peajay Member

I am about to fit a new kitchen in an old house and the location where the sink will be fitted has a shallow bay window about 150 mm deep. I want the work top to continue into the bay. I was thinking of adding a piece of the same top and joining it with biscuits and glue, but I am concerned that over time the water from the sink will cause the joint to fail and the surface to expand. How do the professionals do this ?

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Use a wider worktop and notch it out either side of the bay to clear the walls. Probably have to be a 900 DPF edge one.

Jason

3. peajay

peajay Member

I thought about a wider top but it sounds like a really exoensive option and I will be throwing away 99% of the extra width . Plus I am not sure a wide bar type piece will be available in the same long length, but thanks for the reply

4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

You can get them upto 4.1m long, just get a bit heavy though.

Jason

5. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Its also v. important to check that a wide one like that at that length can be got into the kitchen.

Shedmen

6. Boff

Boff New Member

If you can get away with a 900 then do it, it will be a much better solution than using a joint and it's less than £100 extra if you're using Duropal/Axiom/Getalit or any other good laminate worktop brand.

7. STGO

STGO New Member

or you can just seal it properly and bolt it together.
    What? end of, as far as i can see. no worries geeza ;)