Wiidening work top

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by peajay, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. peajay

    peajay Member

    I am about to fit a new kitchen in an old house and the location where the sink will be fitted has a shallow bay window about 150 mm deep. I want the work top to continue into the bay. I was thinking of adding a piece of the same top and joining it with biscuits and glue, but I am concerned that over time the water from the sink will cause the joint to fail and the surface to expand. How do the professionals do this ?
  2. jasonb

    jasonb New Member

    Use a wider worktop and notch it out either side of the bay to clear the walls. Probably have to be a 900 DPF edge one.

  3. peajay

    peajay Member

    I thought about a wider top but it sounds like a really exoensive option and I will be throwing away 99% of the extra width . Plus I am not sure a wide bar type piece will be available in the same long length, but thanks for the reply
  4. jasonb

    jasonb New Member

    You can get them upto 4.1m long, just get a bit heavy though.

  5. Shedmen

    Shedmen New Member

    Its also v. important to check that a wide one like that at that length can be got into the kitchen.

  6. Boff

    Boff New Member

    If you can get away with a 900 then do it, it will be a much better solution than using a joint and it's less than £100 extra if you're using Duropal/Axiom/Getalit or any other good laminate worktop brand.
  7. STGO

    STGO New Member

    or you can just seal it properly and bolt it together.
    What? end of, as far as i can see. no worries geeza ;)

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice