Will a RSJ support a roof overhang?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Forcealfa, Jun 13, 2018 at 4:26 PM.

1. Forcealfa

Forcealfa New Member

Hi

I have a very large garage that was built in such away that a car has no access to land in front of the door. Very odd build.

Anyway we have decided to reduce the garage size to allow cars to be parked at the front of the house. To be able to do this we have cut a 4m of the garage but have kept the garage roof over as a overhang. I’ve uploaded the pictures to help describe the plan.

Another pillar is being built 2/3 of the garage and one Pilar at the end will go, resulting the garage to have 4m overhang.

Builder and his engineer says that the rsj should support the roof easily but just wanted another opinion

Attached Files:

2. Forcealfa

Forcealfa New Member

Wanted to upload more pictures:

Attached Files:

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Well it probably can, a structural engineer should be employed to do the calcs and put it through building regs approval.

4. Forcealfa

Forcealfa New Member

After it’s done? As it’s currntly being done now.

The builder and his structures engineer says it be fine but no drawing have been done.

Just wanted other expert opinions.. as people keep saying you sure you sure it will support it

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Out of my experience - however, i will give one piece of advice "Get the builder and his SE/Engineer to put it in writing" as a minimum.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Exactly.

7. Forcealfa

Forcealfa New Member

Thanks will do, I will get them to sign and will get drawings done.

Btw what’s your opinion do you reckon from the pics it will be fine. I know you can’t give 100% accrarate answer

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

How did you get a skip there if no access. ???

9. Forcealfa

Forcealfa New Member

The skip is in front of the garage,there is no car access to the front of the house. This is why we are reshaping the garage

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

It is not that easy ... things that will need to be considered are the fixings used, snow loading, full lengths and weight of roof, possible pivot points.

11. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

Is the RHS welded to the UB? It's a weird section so as said by others needs designing not guessing.

12. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I assume those are new pillars that have been built ?
    Did they dig new foundations for them or build them on the existing slab ?