window has a gap when shut, can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by ColdEagle, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

me again, this house move is proving challenging and you are my only form of regaining some sanity!

my bathroom window appears to have a gap when shut. Admittedly when looking at the other windows i think they had a sale on window parts and "have a go fit yourself day". My main aim, for now, is to have the window usable but also to stop the cold coming in as i think this is the main source for it (the open fan in the shower and the not needed overflow pipe *might* also have something to do with the extra air con :p.

is there something i can alter? or can i buy something to increase the thickness of the "black rubber seal"?
    sorry for all the questions chaps!

if you look to the left side i think you can see the gap and it feels as though air is coming in from that area so i assume the gap is actually a gap? ive also included a snap to show that the window is shut and that it seems to be wider at the left side (the 3rd pic showing along the top but its orientated sideways - sorry!).

Please excuse the state of the bathroom, its a work in progress.
    IMG_20171129_161930.jpg IMG_20171129_161939.jpg IMG_20171129_162005.jpg IMG_20171129_162018.jpg

2. Open the window and take some photos of the hinges.

I suspect these won't be adjustable, so it might be a case of having to drill new securing holes for them and moving the whole hinge plate further in.

Perhaps the screws are even loose?

Anyhoo, photos, please.

ColdEagle likes this.
  3. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Unless the hinges have come loose you need to fit a new pair,there is no in,out adjustment.You will need to take them out and take one to your nearest supplier as there are different types.Put them back on in exactly the same position as the old ones or the window won't shut.

ColdEagle likes this.
  4. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Thank you, I'm so sorry normally I would have thought to include those photos, blame the lack of sleep.
    IMG_20171129_183723.jpg IMG_20171129_183733.jpg
    Incidentally I noticed it's rather stiff so will give it a blast of wd40 in a sec.

5. Nothing obviously amiss there. See the way the steel hinge strip sits in a slot in the plastic frame? Well I was hoping that there would be a small space between it and the front edge of that plastic slot, which would mean the hinge could be teased forwards a bit, thereby closing the window gap.

But it looks as tho' any space in that slot is at the back, so that won't help.

Similar Q - what's the hinge like where it mounts on the opener? Same?

ColdEagle likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lubricate all the moving parts of each hinge and handles before attempting anything mechanical.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You need a new set of friction hinges. The rivets have worn loose(quarter open the window and gently rock in and out - there should be no freeplay).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

One of my windows have a similar 'feature' - but the frames have warped slightly... so they are shut on the top and bottom, but not in the middle!

Not a solution, but a potential cause. I'm just living with it until I can find the money to replace.

ColdEagle likes this.
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If your windows don't have them, you can get purpose made triangular 'wedges' that fit to the casing and frame, which pull the window in on the long side(middle).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

ColdEagle likes this.
  10. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

It has them thanks - the window (frame or window) is literally curved!

Cheers tho :)

11. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

sorry for the delay, it didn't notify me. thank you very much @Mr. Handyandy, @Astramax, @yorkshireboy and @Devil's Advocate
    i will double check everything is lubricated and see if anything wobbles and report back, am a bit sick right now so might take me longer than usual. incidentally the wd40 seems to have helped a little.

may i ask is there a way to ensure that there is something amiss? it's just i assume the new hinge suggestion builds on the fact that the window actually shut flush when it was first fitted. with this house i am not so sure that would have been the case. call me mad for thinking this if its stupid.

@Whitling2k oh at least i am not alone! i'm viewing it as extra aircon but you have my sympathy.