Window lantern louvered panels to be changed - building control?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mr moose, Jun 13, 2015.

1. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

I keep looking at this and I don't understand :confused: can someone explain.
    Lovely actual job by the way Mr moose :) Very clever and nicely done. Awww shame the customer was tricky :( I hope they were pleased with all your efforts and the end result coz you can see all the hard work that has gone into it!

But I don't get the purpose of it. Its that corrugated sheeting that confuses me :confused: why is it there? And doesn't that defeat the object.
    I'm sure I'm just being my usual barmy non too bright self.
    But I would like to know :D coz I'm curious.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Either to difuse the light coming in, block out the light, or as insulation to stop warm air rising from below & forming condensation on the glass, which is most likely single glazed.

3. miss pickle

:D Isn't that a bit Irish though :confused: why have it in the first place?
    What's the actual purpose of the whole structure?
    What's its job?
    Obviously there is a reason :D I just can't fathom what it is.
    I thought it was to gain more light o_O but then the corrugated bit is to stop the light??? I don't get it :(

4. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Er, a Q if I may.

What didn't you build a completely new one and chust swap it in one fell swoop? That would have taken only one week. And cost a lot less. And be 100% new treated timber.[/QUOTE]
    Hi, The customer would have had to get planning cos its grade 2 listed and he didn't have the time.

5. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Hi Folks, I think it was because the inside looked so mouldy it had gone black and the landlord couldn't be bothered to paint:rolleyes:, also its in a bedroom so any flies buzzing around would drop onto the bed.

6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Good question;), the answer is that 150 odd years ago it was originally the light for the grand staircase which was then removed when converted into flats, now it is the only light in a small bedroom. Thanks for all the complements by the way:), I was particularly happy with the lead flashing as had never done it before on mitred corners, easy to do by just putting a couple of 22 degree cuts in the strip below the corner of the sill.

7. miss pickle

Oooooh a grand staircase all those years ago :) that sounds lovely.

8. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I put the " Grand " bit in for theatrical affect:D.

miss pickle likes this.
  9. Hi, The customer would have had to get planning cos its grade 2 listed and he didn't have the time.[/QUOTE]

Planning ma botty. Surely no more 'planning' than that required for what you have actually done?

But, hey, fait accompli. And it looks very good :)

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Planning ma botty. Surely no more 'planning' than that required for what you have actually done?

But, hey, fait accompli. And it looks very good :)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if they did need permission.

I refurbished a house that had been in a fire, this was grade 2 listed, we had to re-use burnt timbers instead of new on two internal walls even though there were covered in plasterboard.

They said it was in case in the future the plasterboard was removed and the walls put back to the original of timbers on show.????

How would burnt timber be original??????

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a nice job but how much money did you lose on it?

12. Ooooh, cynical :)

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It took twice as long as Mr Moose thought it would, which most jobs involving rotten exterior wood do, so either he wasn't paid for 2 weeks or the client paid twice as much for labour as he had expected to, which may explain why he was being difficult.
    Mr Moose has done a fantastic job but the whole thing should have been chucked, listing or not.

14. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Well I think I broke about even, cos I added on a good contingency fortunately.;)

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Glad to hear it :)

16. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Did you replace the single glazed with double?

17. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

No , the customer did not want anything, like that doing, any way it would have been even more work/expense because the frames would not have been deep enough to accommodate D glazed units.
    The only thing I did take a slight gamble on was that the two panes of glass that were replaced I did not replace with toughened, there is no risk as far as H and S is concerned IMO, however there could be a comback, if the flat was to be sold one day, in which case I would put the ball back in the customers court because he instructed me not to change glass to toughened. If I had thought about it before I quoted I would have insisted, but I didn't consider that aspect properly.:oops: Always so much to consider in these type of jobs:rolleyes:!

18. miss pickle

Awww Mr moose you seem lovely :D I like you!
    Your customer sounds like a difficult tightwad :mad: was he? o_O That's the impression I get.
    You obviously have a lot of passion for your work and you did a great job.
    Surely the onus is on him as he owns the property and is responsible.
    I doubt there will be any comeback.
    Sleep well :) your a good man :D

19. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Awww shucks, thats nice of you.:)
    I must say its great to have some female energy/ input in this overly male dominated testosterone filled environment.
    Plus I love your light hearted comments :D
    The customer was very upper crust not a horrible person though, it was just that he wanted to start dictating terms to me a bit, after I had already quoted for the job, also was one of those people who have a lot of natural authority and knew how to use there charm as well, so one minute he was like your best buddy, and then all of a sudden he was getting me to agree to something before I had a chance to think about it. He was doing that partley because he was under pressure from the other owners of the property as he was acting as project manager .So that pressure got my back up a bit and I did not enjoy the job as much as I should have.
    Its a funny old game.

miss pickle likes this.