Window/patio frame temperature difference to walls?

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Richard McCombe, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Richard McCombe

Richard McCombe New Member

First post! Is this normal? I am checking the temperatures around windows and doors using a digital laser thermometer. It's a frightening experience.

I have each room temperature controlled using Tado valves. Temperatures have been stable all day and outside is 0 degrees.

Hall temperature is 19 degrees and the bottom of the doors is 10 Deg in a corner.

Living Room: room is 17 degrees and the skirting boards are as low as 10 degree.

Patio door frame is 8 degrees... Room is 15 degrees.

Is this normal?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No, it really really isn't.

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Your patio door frame has a cold bridge allowing the external temperature to cool the inside. This is not good as it will promote condensation on the warm side of the frame.

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Perfectly normal.

5. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

If you are asking if it's normal to discover that a solid object that is exposed to zero degrees on one side is a lower temperature to that of an internal wall that is of a completely different material and has no direct link to the outside, I would suggest that yes it is perfectly normal and to be expected.
    If however you are asking if it is normal to go around testing every surface temperature in a house and then finding the result somehow frightening, then I would suggest that no, that is not in any way normal.

RolandK and Jord86 like this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

For the avoidance of any confusion, my initial reply was referencing the OP's behaviour.

Kingscurate likes this.
  7. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

I twigged that!;)

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

He has a toy, why not let him use it. It has identified a cold spot that will attract condensation.