Windows 11 ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Astramax, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Anybody using it?

2. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Yes, why ?

3. Cloudsnapper

Cloudsnapper Member

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it okay.

5. Cloudsnapper

Cloudsnapper Member

Yes, much like windows 10 with some tidied up bits of the interface. Looks a bit more Apple-y, but hasn't had me swearing yet :)

Astramax likes this.
  6. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Not much change in reality but things simply moved around for sake of moving. Not many new features on surface but existing ones are hidden and not easy to find till you get used to it.

It can’t run on machines much older that about 5 years as it needs TPM 2.0 enabled on the motherboard. Some old machines not have any, others have TPM1.3. It also needs to be enabled in the BIOS. This may be a major sales killer for 11. Eventually, these machines will fall out of service and it’s replacements may come with version 12,13 or 14. Remember after 7, vista , 8 were relatively unsuccessful until 10.

windows has had successes and failures as time goes. Successful versions were 3.1, 95, 98 (some may argue), XP. 10 has been successful but jury’s out on 11.

Astramax likes this.
  7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I haven’t got round to updating Windows 10 to 11 yet.

Any idea whether it uses any more disc space or needs a lot of space to run the update?

My laptop says I only have 3.21 GB free of 118 GB.

I couldn’t run a Photoshop update for ages until I cleared up some space.

8. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

65GB and more for extra features like language support. Win 10 I can squeeze into around 35GB. the download itself is 3.5GB and is highly compressed with ISO files around 6

Cloudsnapper likes this.
  9. Cloudsnapper

Cloudsnapper Member

Looks like your SSD is needing an upgrade, for the upgrade.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had loads of problems with my pc since windows 10 upgrade almost 3 years ago, 2 SSD replaced plus other parts...went wrong again a couple of weeks back so going for a new set up.

11. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

I had enormous problems with 10. Initial load went ok but would not complete but I somehow managed to force it to load. Then I started to have issues with almost every major patch. They would corrupt the windows files and when restating, windows would revert back to the previous version. I must have rebuilt about 10 times before I spotted the bug ! It was the Wi-Fi board. Pulled it out and it’s been good since !

Astramax likes this.
  12. Cloudsnapper

Cloudsnapper Member

Similar here with win10 early on. So far 11 has been hassle-free. Long may that continue.

Astramax likes this.