Windows with no openers or trickle vents

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by collectors, Dec 17, 2009.

1. collectors

collectors Member

Can you have a room with large picture windows with no openers or trickle vents.(Just one big d/glazed unit) This will be in a new SIP house (self build) with a heat recovery system fitted to every room with flow & return air ducts.

Thanks

Chris

2. irish builder

irish builder New Member

if its a bedroom u need one to act as a fire escape

3. Ĥ

Ĥ New Member

Flippin eck. I never thought you could use a trickle vent as a fire escape.

4. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Maybe he's a midget? :)

5. big rick 1

big rick 1 New Member

Regarding the fire escape aspect - if the house is on 3 stories then the windows dont have to be fire escape as the stairwell acts as a protected corridor, cant see any reason why you wouldnt fit an opener on it?
    Regarding the trickle vent option - just spec windows without them, should be no problem.

Out of interest what recovery unit are you fitting. Just starting a site using NIBE units.

6. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

I think if its a habitable room you must put one in .

7. collectors

collectors Member

Will have to phone the local DS & see if they can shed any light on it. With most of the new builds i have been on, none of the windows have an emergency escape, as they don’t open far enough & are not fitted with hinge releases to enable a wider opening.
    This build will only be a 1 ½ story building (sort of Chalet bungalow style) & was looking for a well sealed building for good climate control.
    Hi, big rick 1
    i think the NIBE units are more than just a heat recovery as they put some heat back into rads & hot water. I believe are quite expressive. We are looking more towards just an air recovery unit. http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/vent_axiaairminder.html but this will be connected to an underground air duct of about 80 meters.

8. Nickam

Nickam New Member

9. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

"Regarding the fire escape aspect - if the house is on 3 stories then the windows dont have to be fire escape as the stairwell acts as a protected corridor"

Not if the fire happens to start in the stairwell ;)

10. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

They could put a sign up 'No Fires Beyond This Point'.

11. inkpad

inkpad New Member

only if the sign is double tacked in 2 layers of plasterboard!

you could have no openers/vents if you have a protected stairwell and a properly designed ventilation system

12. mightyapu

mightyapu New Member

ventilation system

...and providing there are no inner rooms on the ground or first floor