Windows

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Ind spark, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

I'm a spark by trade.

I can hang a door do a bit of woodwork I'd say I'm ok at most things not perfect but I get by, i was thinking of replacing my own double glazed windows, how hard is it ? Should I or not?

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Think you need to be FENSA registered for windows. But depends if that matters to you.

Doing them is easy enough, they're just screwed through the sides and then foam fill the gaps. I would imagine however that if you hit problems they could be a pain in the ar$e unless you know the tricks to fettle them in.

3. Ind spark

No not really iv got no plans to move.

Yeah was worried about problems, don't want to be windowless lol

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Too right, that would be a pane. ;)

5. Ind spark

I see what you did there, nice one

6. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Also a spark and not sure if i would attempt it after a friend of mine installed new windows in a branch of Vision Express,
    then realised he’d got the wrong place. Should have gone to Specsavers.:)

gadget man, ElecCEng and masterdiy like this.
  7. Ind spark

What happened did he have to install Windows at Specsavers at his own cost

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Over the first 10 years of owning my house, I slowly but surely changed out all the old aluminium windows for good quality wooden windows (Premdor to start with and then when Premdor stopped making windows I moved over to Jeld-Wen).
    I was shocked to see that every one of the aluminium windows I took out were held in by nothing other than expanding foam!
    To remove them, all I needed was an old blunt woodsaw that I use for cutting plasterboard (a bread knife would have worked too).
    Fitting the new wooden windows just involved drilling into the brick wall, shimming the gaps at the fixings, screwing them in, and then squirting expanding foam all round.
    Finished the gaps off with frame sealant.
    Probably half a day for the first window, and then quicker and quicker as you get the hang of it.

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Its probably technically easier than hanging a door, I'd say. Not much to it really the important bit is measuring the opening correctly.

Give SafeStyle a call they can probably do the whole house for a tenner.

ElecCEng likes this.
  10. Ind spark

10k more like