Windows7 to Window 10

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paul Blackburn, Jan 15, 2020.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Joe the Plumber likes this.
  2. I presume I would have to save everything that I need to keep how do I save that. My wife has Windows 10 on her laptop and I fnd it completely different to my Windows 7.I have office 2003 on my Laptop would that transfer automatically to Windows 10.When I took this PC to my local PC shop before Christmas to give it clean he mentioned about upgrading to Windows 10 and said he would do it for me but did not mention the price.Any advice on upgrading would be appreciated.Thanks.

3. Thanks KIAB what do I need to do as I have only ever had XP on my first PC and Windows 7 on this PC when I bought so have never had to do a upgrade.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Great site this one,loads of good guides, has a excellent guide here.

5. Just found the following
    How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
    1. Visit the Windows 10 download page from here.
    2. Click the 'Download Tool now' button to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
    3. Open the Media Creation Tool and accept the license terms.
    4. Select the 'Upgrade this PC now' option and click Next.
    Would this be a way to do it

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

Look at video in my earlier link in reply 5, shows/explains everything.

7. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

Yes, what you say will do it,

When upgrading to Win10 you will be given the option to keep all files, do this. Windows 10 is really not that different to 7, and you will get used to it in no time. Windows 8 was the awful attempt at change, nobody liked it (because it just wasn't optimised for computers, better for tablets etc) and then they reverted back to the original style.

Win10 is better in every single aspect to 7, and microsoft are stopping support for 7 within the next couple of weeks. So definitely worth upgrading.

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Windows 10 is superb,far better than Windows 7, as for Windows 8 was a complete disaster.

9. Thanks KIAB Have just gone through the video you sent but one question the person was not sure if this would work after the shutdown date for Windows 7 which was yesterday the 14th.Apart from that it looks really simple and I can keep all my current data but if I needed to save my data what is the best way to do that.Thanks again.

10. jackelliott07

Put onto an external hdd, or, if you don't have that much stuff, a USB.

11. I have a Seagate 1terabyte external drive which is almost empty so that would do for now what is the procedure for transferring the data to the drive.Obviously only the important stuff.

12. jackelliott07

Plug in, copy & paste, job done. I'm assuming it's only files/pictures/documents etc.

13. Mike58

Mike58 Screwfix Select

Also, get a copy of BELARC Advisor https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor and run that. It will pull up all te applications you have along with te various sioftware keys so that if a re-install is needed you will have your software key. Just print a copy of the screens.

14. Thanks Mike will do what you suggest

15. Yes that's all

16. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Got a 6TB NAS drive here which I use to back up all files using SyncToy.

Also take the odd image of the OS drive using Macrium Reflect, also to the NAS.

Photos are stored online too in flickr.com and various other cloud places which are free. Can't be too careful of having all your valuable data backed up to the Nth degree.

17. Abrickie

Abrickie Super Member

Windows 10 is pushing me towards a Mac lol

18. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Thanks very much Kiab. Downloaded and working. I think I owe you lots of beer. You've just saved me a new computer!

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No need for obscene language.:D