Windows7 to Window 10

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Paul Blackburn, Jan 15, 2020.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

That must be close to 40 years ago.:eek:

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Lol, more than old enough. Ram drives were a basic requirement for getting a top score in SuperPi :D

KIAB likes this.
  3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Both MS DOS and WinXP were available on floppy disc. I've still got all the MS DOS discs, although i did buy XP on CD lol.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

About 34 years ago.

5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

My main problem (as I posted about a couple of weeks ago) was Live Mail no longer worked once I'd installed Windows 10. Googling it brought up numerous people with the same problem, but no answer.

Sadly, having gone back to W7, it carried on not working. Most frustrating.

Now I've had a message from Barclays warning me not to use internet banking on W7 because it's no longer secure. Marvellous!

And all this in spite of my 'O' Level in Computer Studies (admittedly it's from 1980....)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Windows 7 is end of life, no longer supported,so you need to move onto Windows 10.

A lot of peeps are going over to Mailbird.

https://www.getmailbird.com/mailbird-best-alternative-windows-live-mail/

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Regardless of "Mailbird" or any other mail clients, Win7 itself will just become less and less secure as an OS. So as you said KIAB, Win10 is the only answer. Other than Linux or Mac off course.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I bank with Barclays and it has been obvious for a long time they are not interested in Win7. Once an OS is obsolete....................they will stop using it and accepting requests from it.
    Most peeps nowdays use a mobile for banking, not the PC. Mobiles are always up to date security wise and are more secure than most peeps think.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I moved from Barclays over to HSBC,best thing I've done.:)

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I moved from Midland Bank to Barclays.....................best thing i've done :D

11. Joe the Plumber

I only have a cashback credit card from Barclays. Due to some outrageous luck in having originally had an old Abbey National business account with no charges, my Santander business account also has no charges.

But I'm sure you're all quite right about W10. I'll go back to it eventually, just not immediately.

12. DIY0001

DIY0001 Active Member

and you can still run it as a virtual machine in Windows 10 Pro using Hyper-V, complete with XP drivers. :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    KIAB likes this.
  13. BenthebFrolic

BenthebFrolic New Member

When I hear floppy discs, it feels very ancient to me. lol

14. Joe the Plumber

Now back on Windows 10. But a heads up. I didn't like their email programme and tried O E Classic, as I think I mentioned above.

Having had to reinstall OEC on each of the three occasions I've downloaded W10, it has taken me a long time to finally realise it's a scam.

Each time I've downloaded OEC, within two days, my email accounts have been locked by BT because they've been hacked. Last time (start of Feb), I changed all the passwords and left OEC with my old ones so it didn't work. I've had no hacking problems all through February, but I gave OEC a final go on Wednesday as I liked it and, yes, BT have just locked my accounts as I've been hacked again.

The W10 email programme won't let me send a message to a group (something I need to do once a month) and OEC will, but clearly it's a compromised programme.

To sum up, don't use OEC for your emails, however tempting it looks.

15. I have now got Windows 10 on my laptop so thanks for all the advice