Wipeable emulsion?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gulliver, Oct 3, 2018.

1. gulliver

gulliver New Member

I want a magnolia matt emulsion (for my lounge, not steam room) which can, if necessary, be lightly wiped with a damp cloth (not a firehouse and Brillo pad) to remove the odd grubby mark... perhaps from my grandkids, or a loose-bowelled fly marching around on the ceiling.

And hopefully without paying £58 for a can of Dulux diamond-whatever.

I did actually do some checking before posting, and I'm surprised that some manufacturers have advised me to not use their 'wipeable matt vinyl'.

So yeah, although I now know a lot more than I did about trade and retail paint etcetera, and how I shouldn't have bought that can of Screwfix value emulsion, I just want to finish painting the room so I can put the furniture back and watch the telly.

Suggestions welcomed, please and thanks.

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Crown scrubable emulsion I would highly recommend.
    Probably not cheap either, but you get what you pay for.
    I am not a painter, but used this on recommendation for my kitchen.
    Some of the painters will maybe have other choices

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If paying for quality paint is restrictive go to Brewers and buy Albany Durable Magnolia Matt, circa £35 for 5 litres.

4. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Not a painter but have a look at Wilko tough and washable range, your never guess who makes it!

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I used Dulux Trade Diamond (or maybe Endurance ) from the Dulux Centre around 7 years ago and then was around £100 for 10 ltr

Yep pricy but great thick paint and goes a long way, 2nd coat even further

Got to say, 2 young kids in the house and a fair few parties over the years but the paint has been superb in terms of washability and resisting stains

Just use kitchen cloth and hot soapy water, nothing (so far) has actually stained the surface

Think they’ve changed the name again and I’m not sure what is what between say BQ and Dulux Centre. One sold Endurance and other sold Diamond

I paid the price for the ‘trade’ stuff and in all honesty, 7 years later can still say it was money well spent

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

1A207D01-8D6D-49A5-80A1-9F018C9E947B.jpeg Have also since used this in one room, again, very good cleaning ability

Not cheap but you ‘sometimes’ get what you pay for (sometimes)

Take a look online at ‘The Paint Shed’

Unbeatable prices, smallish range but they do some Crown

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Endurance from WICKES is the retail version of Dulux Trade Diamond often on offer from Wickes for buy 2 get one free (amazing price), used it on office refurbs so gets a bashing with chairs etc...............no problem and well worth consideration.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Masonry paint
    Wickes

PhilSo

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You did recomended them Kiab,couple of years ago and I’ve used them several times since so thanks :)

KIAB likes this.
  11. gulliver

gulliver New Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

On a side-note... I'm curious why there's such a price disparity between 'a wipeable matt, and basic silk (which is of course wipeable)'.