Wired Ring Doorbell - run bell cable outside on front of house

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Schweiger, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Paul Schweiger

Paul Schweiger New Member

Hi

I purchased a Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 with a plug in adapter thinking that it would be reasonably simple to run the wires to a plug socket. I had an electrician round today who explained that getting the cable through the door and to a plug socket is not a simple job due to the internal layout and route to the nearest plug socket.

Would it be possbile/sensible to run the doorbell wire across the front of the house outside. That would make it easier to route to the boiler cupboard where we can drill through to a plug socket. Would the doorbell cable need to be protected from the rain/sun for a lasting installation?

thanks
    Paul

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

You might have been better with the one that has the remote transformer that you fit next to your consumer unit. It may be easier to run the low voltage bell wire from there to the doorbell

I assume you don’t already have a doorbell in situ that you could get power from?

3. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Yes you can but the cable would need protecting from the outdoors if using T&E cable, as suggested by @CraigMcK you would be better with a remote transformer and run an outdoor Cat5 cable to the doorbell for connection, this looks much neater and you dont really notice the black 5 Cat 5 cable.

4. Paul Schweiger

Paul Schweiger New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes correct no existing doorbell. I'll ask my electrician about the feasibility of running of running bell wire to the front door. It's not that far from the front door so it should be possible.

Does that mean I need to send my Ring doorbell with plug in adapter back and get a new pack with the hardwired version? Or can I just buy the hardwire kit separately?