Wiring a garage help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Simon clarke, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

Can anyone tell me if it's ok to wire a 40 amp garage consumer (new type with with rcd) from a 30amp old wylex plug in type overy a 25m 4mm swa from the house, running 2 double sockets and two led strip lights?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Better to use a Henley and switch fuse tbqh (at intake position)

3. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

Sorry I didn't mention I wasn't a sparky. what does that mean I'm trying to save money and iv got a sparky that is coming out when work is done but don't want to pay just for him to say it's wrong and get him to do work.

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Well, pay him to tell you what he needs completed in advance by you.

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Do you attempt other safety critical jobs ..that you have no idea about...and then call in the professional to look at the mess later ?
    Think you may need to reassess the situation.
    [​IMG]

Rs

Jord86, Kingscurate and Sparkielev like this.
  6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Never mind. The worse it can do if you get it wrong is kill yourself, the wife or other member of your family!

7. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

Right look yeah Im on here to protect my family and me that's y I'm asking questions but you all seem to take the mick and spending your time on here none of u seem to know what I'm saying I have a switchfuse for new lighting and a 40amp rcd consumer unit in garage I have a old plug in fuel type in house usin masive swa to power it I'm asking what do I need to do or extra to make it safe *** there might be an experienced spark that know what a wire plug in fuse is

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  8. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

Yeah just spoke to him after I got on here

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The information you have been given is correct.

This is a new circuit so is notifiable. You expect him to sign the installation paperwork as the designer and tester, (I assume you will sign as the installer?) yet you ask on here?

Discuss it with him then igf you have any questions or concerns you will get the answers you are looking for.

Kind regards

10. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

Thank u

11. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade but trying to save money my work is to perfection, but using old power unit to new?that's the bit I don't know 80s don't even know if u can use the and it's a rented place

12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Not questioning your ability, just your response. You have an electrician willing to put his reputation on the line by signing off your work, so he obviously trusts you.

However, you now say this is a rented property. You cannot and must not modify the wiring without permission and agreement from your landlord. Check the terms of your rental agreement. You may want to look here https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/tenants_responsibilities for guidance.

I would suspect the consumer unit at the house would need to be upgraded to allow this work to go ahead. Also possible earthing upgrades and depending on the supply type an earth rod installed.

There is a lot to be considered that can't be advised simply here, but would need a site visit from a registered, competent electician to assess all the technicalities. We understand you want to save money, but it needs to be designed and installed in accordance with the current version of BS7671 or it could be dangerous to you, your family and your neighbours.

Kind regards

13. retiredsparks

I want to save money...how do i fill my own teeth.
    Will let the dentist look at them later...I am a qualified numpty.
    please advise as they are not my own teeth.
    Rs

14. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

I have permission and plan on staying a while the garage end is wired to perfection y will not tell me what to do to power it on old bord (does know even know) I know the risk that's y I haven't wired it up yet

15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You already have an electrician on board for the job and he is the best person to advise you, as he has seen the installation. Without much more information I doubt the helpful folks in here will be able to advise you.

16. Simon clarke

Simon clarke New Member

No he hasn't but he knows what iv done and the rest of u di

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I will try to be constructive. Firstly, the protection at the supply end should be a MCB or cartridge fuse as a 30A rewireable (BS3036) will not protect 4mm. So go ahead with connecting to the old board. Earth the SWA at the supply end. I will now assume that you know how to connect a CCU. As the garage CCU has a 30mA RCD, fit an earth electrode at the garage end and use it as the sole earth. Do not connect the SWA or use it for earth. Can't advise more as I don't know the details.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must admit whatever supply type myself would always use switch fuse as it is dp supply negation. If you go into sp mcb then that is usually only single pole switching unless of course you turn of main switch..not ideal in most cases tbqh.

19. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I only want a supply in the garage for lawn mower, battery charger and lights, so coming from a FCU was ample, so getting the house rewired the garage was included, however I had to tell the electrician in no uncertain terms, do it again and do it properly when he tried getting away with using twin and earth on a catenary wire. It was changed straight away.

So don't assume because a scheme member they will always get it right, however to be fair the compliance certificate had not been issued at this point, so their own QA may have picked it up.

20. retiredsparks

What was put in after "advising" the sparks ?
    RS