Wiring a lamp switch and securing the terminals

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Randomise_Skateboards, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Hi
    I am planning on making a lamp as a little project for myself to conquer, the only problem is i have no clue what im doing i have all the parts however:

Plug,
    Mains wire,
    Mains rated switch,
    Casing,
    Light bulb screw fixing terminal and bulb

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the wiring the wiring to the licht terminal and plug socket are fine but on the mains rated switch it only has two terminal coming out with holes throught them and now screw to secure the wire. Do i need to solder it and what do i do when insulating it will gaffer tape be ok or will this melt under the 240 voltage?
    Thanks for any help

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

your gona need to give us a better idea of whit kind of switch you have.
    a good solder joint is ok for 240v aslong as you insulate it after you make the joint.
    put some sleving on before you make the joint then slide it over the finished joint.

give us a link to your switch and we'll have a look

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I am planning on making a lamp as a little project for myself to conquer,

WHY?????

the only problem is i have no clue what im doing

Then I beseech you - please don't try to make your own mains voltage appliances.

i have all the parts however:.....

How would you know that? You don't have a clue what you're doing...

.. on the mains rated switch it only has two terminal coming out with holes throught them and now screw to secure the wire.

Are they flat terminals? About 4mm wide? And the hole in the middle is quite small? My guess is that they are spade terminals that take push-on connectors. Do you have some of those? You said you had all the parts you needed.....

Do i need to solder it

No - you need to fix push-on connectors to the ends of your cable. Those can be soldered or crimped - I don't know which sort you have, but you did say you have all the parts you need.

and what do i do when insulating it

Why do you want to insulate the connections? Surely they won't be exposed, will they? And in any event, if you want to insulate them and you have all the parts that you need (you did say that, didn't you?), then your spade connectors will either be already insulated, or they will have proper insulating boots that slide over them after they are fixed to the ends of the wires. Won't they?

will gaffer tape be ok or will this melt under the 240 voltage?

Why do you want to use gaffer tape? You are obviously concerned about its breakdown voltage, so if using tape to insulate is what you want to do, then why not use the proper insulating tape that you have got? (You did say that you had all the parts that you need, didn't you?)

Thanks for any help

Don't mention it.

4. Whoa ok calm down!!! Why did you bother replying if your just going b rude and rip into me?I came on here for some help not for abuse.
    What does it matter to you why Im building a lamp, i am very into doing and making things around the house and i am quite a good chippy but don't know all that much about electrics i only wanted some help, i meant i thought i had all the parts there was no need for your response.
    I'm sorry if i have offended you in the quest for knowledge

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Randomise_Skateboards, I just read ban-all-sheds reply and, reading it as an outsider, he is more concerned about your safety. You did after all say "i have no clue what im doing"
    Electricity is a dangerous commodity & shouldn't be played with if you have no clue what you are doing. I am just about capable of putting a 13amp plug on a lead but would have no idea of current flow, resistance etc.
    I'd sooner have someone who knows what he is doing tear me to shreds than have blue sparks shooting up my arm (been there, done that, wore the T-shirt so take great care with electrics)

6. fusefinder

fusefinder New Member

but on the mains rated switch it only
    has two terminal coming out with holes throught them
    and now screw to secure the wire.

Sounds like one of those mains switches intended for electronics projects, meant for soldering or spades but don't use it unless it is going to be accessable only with a screwdriver i.e. inside a fullly enclosed box as you can't rely on heatshrink or tape to stay in place and guard against direct contact. Therefore would advise you to buy a patres box and switch plate instead.