Wiring a light switch in-line.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Nick Cunliffe, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nick Cunliffe

Nick Cunliffe New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice as I'm having trouble finding info on the subject online. I have a lamp with an inline switch on it. I'd like to replace the inline switch with normal light switch (https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-gang-1-way-10ax-light-switch-white/13930) so that I can run the cable down the back of my desk to keep it out of the way. I've attached image which should do a better job of explaining than I'm doing. As far as I can see this should be pretty simple. It sounds like I just need to run the live through the switch and connect earth to earth and neutral to neutral in screw down terminals.

Is that correct / safe, I'm hesitant to do this without confirmation.

I really appreciate any help you can give me with this. lampSwitch.png

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Yes, pretty much. Have you checked what wires are going through the switch, is there an earth? Also what pattress/back box are you going to use, plastic? Is there enough cable? Is it to be terminated at the other end with a plug, that's already fitted?

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  4. Nick Cunliffe

Nick Cunliffe New Member

Thanks for the responses, Dr. I've got a plastic pattress box that should do the trick, but if it doesn't fit the switch I'll just order a new one that does, there is no hurry on this job. The wire is long enough and is earthed, it's terminated with a plug with a 3 amp fuse.

Pollowick, that is a good idea and I agree that switch would look better.

Thanks again for the help!

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Most plastic pattress boxes have an earth terminal which you can use - you will just need a suitable one for the neutral but it will need to be carefully fitted inside.

Also, try to get switch and box from the same manufacturer - the profiles are different and they look awful when you have a switch with round corners on a sharp cornered box.

6. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

How are you going to secure the small flex going in and out of the pattress.