Wiring a lighting cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Papam, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Papam

Papam New Member

Hi,

I'm wiring up a light socket. The cable is three core and I have to wire a plug on one end and the bulbholder on the other. However the bulbholder only needs a live and a neutral connection. My question is do I still need to wire up the earth connection to the plug? Also what do I do with the spare earth connection at the bulbholder end? Just cut it short? Thanks ever so much for your help! Cheers

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I am not sure what you are intending to do. Are putting in an additional socket on a fixed domestic ring or radial circuit? Are you then plugging a lamp into this socket with a 13amp plug?

3. Papam

Papam New Member

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What I would do is to connect earth in plug top, and at lamp holder end cut the earth to what 25mm and fold back onto cable sheath - and use a very fine tie to hold it there.
    If you don't connect the earth then this said core will be subject to induced voltage.
    Whatever you do make sure that the centre of the ES lamp holder is live when you cable it - I don't care if its one of those EU things - always centre live op.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

As an annexe - the earth flyer is handy for eli test.

6. Papam

Papam New Member

Thanks very much JP. I think I've got it but could you clarify the last sentence about ensuring the centre of the lamp holder is live before cabling it. Pardon my ignorance, I've not really done this before. Thanks very much I really appreciate it

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Pap. The brown core (live) goes to the centre of the lamp holder..the bit where the centre blob on the lamp connects when you screw it in. Under no circumstances must the threaded part of the lamp holder be connected to live.

8. PaulBlackpool

JP has answered the question but I would say just be careful with this type of setup. Are you intending to hang the cable from a hook?
    If you are intending it to be any sort of inspection lamp these usually have bulb guards fastened on the shade ring.
    Like this ;- http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ec...Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=225784#

In this case the earth wire would be connected to the metalwork of the fitting.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it is an inspection lamp you want just go and buy one ready-made, only cost about a tenner!

10. Papam

Papam New Member

Thanks all. Could I just ask, when you fold the earth wire back into the outer sheath would you leave the green and yellow plastic on or strip it back to 25mm? Thanks again!

It will be hanging for a hook but it's not an inspection lamp. It's just for use as a bedside light and won't have a bulb guard fitted. Thanks everyone

11. PaulBlackpool

Leave the green and yellow plastic on.
    Make sure the plug has a 3 amp fuse in it.

12. Papam

Papam New Member

Great stuff. The plug has a 3 amp fuse and I've wired up all three connections.

I'm tucking the green and yellow earth core back into the outer sheath and have wired up the live and neutral to the lamp holder as per the instructions. Hopefully it should work! Thanks so much everyone!

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Then you should use the correct cable, 2-core.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Papam

Papam New Member

Thanks Handyandy. I think the issue is I have bought a Bakelite lamp holder from here: http://www.dowsingandreynolds.com/shop/e27-bakelite-bulb-holder-black/

From what I can tell, Bakelite fittings don't have an earth connection. I wanted to use the Bakelite lamp holder as it looks great and I wanted to make sure I was safe with the earth connection. The vendor and other people on here seem to think it should be fine as long as the earth is tucked away (the vendor said to wrap it in electrical tape). If you think differently please let me know. I really do appreciate the help.

The light is wired up and seems to be working just fine. Thanks again everyone!

15. Mr. Handyandy

Depends what day it is!

Somedays the people on here will quote regs saying that spare Earths should always be terminated properly, other days they'll say bend in over and insulate it.

Proper way for your light would be to use 2-core cable, then no spare wires to worry about.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If it's connected by a plug the regs won't apply. Wiring it in 1mm twin would be daft and would be quite hard to wire into a plug and prob have problems with heat from the lamp. 3amp fused plug, 2 core .75 HEAT RESISTANT flex would be the way to go.

17. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

and dont forget to plug it into an RCD!!!!

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Not really required in this case. Only really required for hand held portable equipment.

19. Mr. Handyandy

What you on about C?

"1mm twin would be daft and would be quite hard to wire into a plug"

But .75 would be easier ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really