Wiring for a new boiler via a three pin plug?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Nickam, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Nickam

Nickam New Member

Just returned from visiting my brother-in-law. He has had a new boiler fitted and the plumber has left it in a bit of a mess. He has also connected the boiler electricaly by putting a plug on the end of the cable from the boiler and just plugging it into a nearby three pin socket. Now, as far as plumbing goes, I'm an amateur. I would though have wired it into a fused spur unit adjacent to the boiler. I'm guessing that the reson he's done that is because he's not a sparks so technically hes' not allowed to do the electrics and doesn't want to employ a sparks to do it. Am I right in my assumption?
    Cheers,
    Nick

[Edited by: admin]

2. Itandje

Itandje New Member

There's nothing wrong with a plug as long as it's got a 3 amp fuse and is close to the boiler. It should be an unswitched socket though if you want to be picky.
    You're probably right about why he's done it though.

3. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

You can wire it into FCU no problems because it wont be for reward

The plug with 3 amp fuse in an unswitched socket is perfectly fine

Now if he isn't a part p qualified sparky and there wasn't a spur there already then he did what was correct

Carry on with your drawings and leave the plumbing to the plumbers!:d

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Plugs are OK.

5. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

I thought a switched socket was good too as long as it was double pole?

6. steve CF

steve CF New Member

what if the thermostat cable is buried into the plaster is RCD protection required or not ? even if its till connected via a plug.

7. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

channces are if its on new combi then it will be volt free switching on the stat

8. Itandje

Itandje New Member

I thought a switched socket was good too as long as it was double pole?

Not on boilers, if it's wired through a plug it should be an unswitched socket.

9. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

So nick, business is so bad uv decided to come on here and Spam forum members? UR determined for 2010 2b better yeah??

Should u desire to advertise ur business, pay up and use a proper channel. dont use an immaginary brother inlaw to spam unsuspecting members of the public.

This is a lot of BULLOCKS (edited by admin, shame they cant spot SPAM).

Since ur an expert in the building trade,I am sure you know the appropriate authority to contact and complain about the 'supposed shody work' that has been done at ur immaginary brother inlaws' house:)

How members of this forum couldn't spot the spam baffles me:^O

10. imran_

imran_ New Member

First off, if not Part P then he can't claim it's not "for reward" - utter rubbish. If he's doing a job as part of business then ANY part of that job is for reward.

He should follow mfrs instructions, but if in a kitchen it is under Part P.

11. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

IMRAN do you ever read the post or just write random b.ollox

I said he can do it because he is relation as long as there is no reward ,thus being diy one family member can do what ever they like for the other

The plumber has to be registered with the part P scheme minimum of limited scope .the plumber probably isnt and thus the easiest way is for him to fit a plug and be done with it

12. I know Best

I know Best New Member

who give a * where he plugs it into.

13. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

No Part P in Scotland.

14. Kip

Kip New Member

Plugs are prefered as you can unplug it to ensure the connection has gone for working on the appliance.

15. Nickam

Nickam New Member

Just like to point out to tvmakesiteasy that I haven't done any of the plumbing or wiring. I was just asking a simple question of those who would know better on the details of the installation. Just because I'm a trained architectural Technician and able to draw a boiler doesn't mean I also know all the details. Otherwise we wouldn't have to employ you professionals to do the job. Each to his own as they say. And also to the other Gentleman who has spouted off about an imaginary brother-in-law. This is a factual enquiry and just because I take every opportunity to point out my own skills doesn't mean I can't ask advice of others. I'm sure all you guys do the same otherwise you shouldn't be in business for yourself.
    Cheers,
    Nick

16. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Nick, having the boiler on a 3 pin plug is acceptable, in fact some new boilers have a plug on the end of the flying lead. The issue is the type of socket it's plugged into. It must provide complete insulation - so a un-switched socket is required.

Many boilers(as said) have low volt external controls on them, of course they can never be volt free, it's electrics ***!!!

This subject has been covered many times before on here.

17. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

insulation????????!! Should read isolation.

18. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

IF the switched socket has double-pole isolation, then it's 'ok'. If only single-pole, then it isn't. Instead, it should be an unswitched socket so that the plug needs to be completely 'pulled' for isolation.

However, as referred to above, where does the 'control' wire come from, and how is that supplied?

If the boiler has a separate timer and/or programmer which gains it's mains power from a different line, then that ain't ok as mains voltage can still be present at the boiler even if the boiler itself is 'unplugged'.

19. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Must be un-switched socket, so the plug needs to be pulled for complete isolation. No way anyone knows by looking at a socket if it's double-pole or single.

20. Kip

Kip New Member

Unless you have x-ray vision. Which if we did this job would be much flaming easier.