Wiring for a Sink Waste Disposal unit.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wheel-nut, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

I am replacing my Kitchen Sink with a new one and adding a 0.5 HP Waste Disposal unit. I intend to supply the Waste disposal unit from an Switched FCU spur'ed of the Ring.

Is there a regulation or recommendation for the maximum distance that the Switch should be from the sink? The Sink is below an 1800mm wide window so it would be a minimum of a metre away.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi wheelnut

Not quite with you..(its past 8.00 and i'm losin concentration...) but please explain a bit more...

RSS

3. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Hi Unphased,

The "Trash-masher" would draw 3.25A so supplying it from an FCU off the Ring main should not be a issue.

I am aware of the regulation that the nearest Socket should be a minimum of 400mm from the metal sink so am assuming that this also applies to the FCU.

However, in emergency, I would expect that the FCU should be within reach of the Trash-masher and there lies my dilemma! Do I fit the FCU close to the sink ..... or do I fit it about 500mm away from the nearest metal?

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi w-n

Agreed power consumption is next to b all so fused fcu off the ring is straightforward and correct to regs. Well if not too much of an inconvenience I would put the fcu at a point away from the sink where you can easily get to it. It doesnt have to physically be near the sh!t chewer to work it.

I am not aware of the need to keep the fcu away from metal. Can understand keeping out of splash zone of sink etc. No problemo my friend.

RSS

5. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Thanks Unphased. I was querying this for the same reason as that you are not allowed wall light-switches in a bathroom.

p.s. Before anybody tells me about power factor and induction motors, I intend to use a 5A HRC fuse in the FCU.

Thanks again...

6. Fused

Fused New Member

If your Disposer's FCU is below, or near, a plastic or metal sink how near can it be before 'risk assessment' (water splashing, leak or cleaning out the trap) would require a suitably high-IP rated enclosure?