Wiring new light fitting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lee Fenner, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

Hello, just changing a downstairs light fitting. I have always normally just done like for like with no problem but this fitting has me confused!

Traditional ceiling rose has come down, I have 3 Live, 2 neutral and 3 earth. Also there is the switch black/red sheath wire. The problem is the new fitting has three screwed blocks for me to feed all these wires into. There is no place for the black and red sheath wire. Does it just go into the live screw? If this is the case, then I am really struggling to get all four wires into the one screw hole!

Am I right or wrong with my thinking here and, if right, is there anything I can do/buy to make this easier to screw in?!

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The switched live ( black with red sheath) connects to the live terminal of the light fitting. The reds go in a seperate terminal connector NOT connected to the fitting.
    The neutrals go in the fittings Neutral terminal ,and the earth's into the fittings earth terminal.

3. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

Thanks... so other than contacting an electrician, what does that mean? I need to buy something for the lives to go into?

Attached Files:

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Do you have a picture of the other half of that connector? It may have a 'loop' terminal.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If there is space in the light fitting for a single connector block ,that's all you need. Just put the three red lives into it.
    Can't see clearly the black connector ,does it have another half ?

6. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

Just L, N and earth on the black thing.

I have one of these do I just put the reds in it so the loop goes on?

Attached Files:

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Yes ,the wago is ideal.

8. Lee Fenner

Lee Fenner New Member

Ok so to confirm.....

3 earths into light fitting earths
    2 blacks into light fitting N
    1 red/black sheath into light fitting L
    3 reds into WAGO block

Is that right?