Wiring PIR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Truckcab79, May 21, 2023.

1. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Out of my depth on what I hoped would be a simple like for like replacement.
    Customer has tried to change their own PIR but new one doesn’t work.

New and old look the same but old one had five terminals and new one 4. New one has instructions what just show a simple line and neutral in and line and neutral out wiring diagram. However old one was wired with a single cable with the cables identified as
    Earth
    Grey marked as blue neutral
    Black marked as brown switched live
    Brown live
    Black jumper cable between live and switched live terminals.

Doesn’t matter what I try I can’t get the new one to work and don’t have the knowledge to work out why. All I know is that nothing makes it work and nothing makes the RCD trip either.

Could be new and faulty?
    Could be the customer has fiddled with something I don’t know
    Could be a fault elsewhere on the circuit. For some reason he’s decided that the PIR is faulty and bought the new one to replace it.
    Could be I’m an idiot.

Pictures below show how it was apparently wired before, the bare wires as left for me to look at, and the new terminals.

Help appreciated

many thanks.

upload_2023-5-21_18-55-0.png

upload_2023-5-21_18-55-15.png

upload_2023-5-21_18-55-30.png

Attached Files:

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Try fitting a normal switch, if that works it's probably faulty looks pretty simple.

arrow likes this.
  3. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Do you have a set of test lamps/ two prong testers to test the cables.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Just connect live and switched live together and see if the light comes on pemanently. If so then a wiring issue/pir, if not a light issue, in which case you all need to stand in a circle with your hands in the air because .......

many hands make light work :rolleyes::eek:

arrow and Ind spark like this.
  5. Truckcab79

Yep. Tried that version and nothing happened, but cheers for confirming. And did also check that live was in fact live which it was so I know there’s power going to the PIR. Must be an issue with the light.
    Many thanks.

6. Truckcab79

Though out of interest. If the light worked what would be the correct connections to that new PIR?

N into either N
    Live into Live In
    Switched live into Live out

Assume I still need to jump the two lives together as in the old version or is that already connected within the body of the PIR wiring itself?

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

No, don't put the jumper in. If it doesn't work check you have the lives the correct way round. Sometimes they are incorrectly connected by the previous person.

8. Truckcab79

Cheers. I tried that as well. Also Neutral in either neutral. Also with and without jumper. Nothing worked and nothing tripped so it sounds like his fitting is the culprit.

Cheers again.