Wiring query?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by P.T., Jun 7, 2021.

1. P.T.

P.T. New Member

Hi all,

Ive purchased the Blauberg Calm Design 4" fan - model 100 ST, it has a timer and integrated pull cord.

My last fan was timer only and was set-up to activate when the bathroom light was turned on.
    I wanted to ask if anyone knows if the same set-up is possible with this particular model?

Its a pain turning on the bathroom light and then having to pull the cord on the fan also - i just want to turn it on and off using the bathroom light switch.

If its possible - how can i do it?

2. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

Post photos of:
    1) the existing wiring
    1a) is there a fan isolator switch?
    2) the connection instructions for the new fan
    3) the connections in the new fan

3. IW guy

IW guy New Member

If that is the only thing you have to worry about in this world you are extremely blessed.

Zorki-6 likes this.
  4. P.T.

P.T. New Member

IMG_20210608_200318.jpg IMG_20210608_200327.jpg IMG_20210608_200318.jpg IMG_20210608_200327.jpg

5. P.T.

P.T. New Member

Note: the green/yellow wire is not an Earth wire, that was the only coloured sleeve we had as the wire was bare.

Fig 15, fan 100ST

We have no isolator switch

Attached Files:

6. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

Why not short out the ill switch on the new fan and create a direct feed and dispense with the pull cord

7. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

Also the wiring in the fan you have has no permanent supply for a run on timer so I think this model will accept liking the live switch wire to the terminal for permanent supply and just use as a simple on/off fan with your light switch at present if you want a run then you need a permanent supply via some wiring changes

8. IW guy

IW guy New Member

What! So you are using the bare CPC of a twin and earth as a line conductor and to cap it off sleeving it green and yellow. Hope you have good life insurance, though doing something so idiotic would probably invalidate it. Red or brown sleeving is very cheap.

Seriously you need a spark to do this properly and safely.

9. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

To put it tactfully, you are a dangerous fool.

10. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

It baffles me the amount of posts where this sort of thing happens...:eek:

11. The Happy Builder

Someone testing the cable at the fan with a multi meter may well be fooled into thinking there is reversed polarity live and neutral, rather than a live on the earth conductor :rolleyes:

This is wrong on so many levels.

12. P.T.

P.T. New Member

This wiring is how it was originally set up, all i did was put a sleeve on the bare wire.

I asked for advice, not to be insulted

13. The Happy Builder

No, it is not possible without rewiring.

14. P.T.

P.T. New Member

15. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

Nobody is intentionally trying to insult you. It is dangerous what you have done though, I appreciate that is how it was wired before and you just straight swapped it. However like we've said its very dangerous having the cpc there. I would normally say well done for sleeving the bare conductor. Apologies if you felt insulted i'm sure it wasnt peoples intentions!

16. P.T.

P.T. New Member

Thankyou

17. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

It may already be there, but it’s the responsibility of the last person to make sure that any problems are realised and rectified. That’s where experience comes in.

18. The Happy Builder

The bed advice is it’s dangerous and you don’t know what to do to make it safe and you need it to be safe, so you need to get an electrician to tidy it up for you, if being told that is insulting, then so be it.

19. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

:eek:

20. The Happy Builder

What you see isn’t always what you get.