Wiring S Plan to work with Hive

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mertyn, May 18, 2023.

1. Mertyn

Mertyn New Member

Hi all,

Recently moved in to a new house and i'm looking to install Hive as I did in my last property.

I have an S plan system with independent valves for CH and HW. Each valve has it's own programmer (which to make life easier have been embedded in tiles and grout, thanks previous owner!).

CH has a wireless thermostat and HW is an on the wall jobby. Is it fairly standard to have two programmers like this?

I'm thinking that I need to consolidate both HW and CH on to a single back plate to allow me to move to using a single dual channel Hive receiver.

Is it as simple as that or is there anything else I should be considering?

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I would just fit the hive receiver at the zone valve location.
    This would then eliminate the the programmers.

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The hive would just need a LNE.
    Then terminal 4 on the hive would go in with the heating zone valve brown.
    Terminal 3 on the hive would then connect with the cylinder stat wire that will be on the wiring centre at the zone valves.

4. Mertyn

Mertyn New Member

Do you mean putting it near the wiring centre rather than near the programmers? The valves and wiring centre are on the other side of the wall with the boiler under the panel. 20230518_193855.jpg 20230518_193920.jpg 20230518_193938.jpg

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It can probably be modified at the existing location.
    But you would need to remove the programmer, stat receiver and fused switch to confirm.

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It is likely you have all the wires you need at the programmer, the basic design is, the programmer tells thermostat when it needs to work, the thermostat tells the motorised valve when it needs to work, and the motorised valve tells the boiler when it needs to work, since Hive combines the programmer and thermostat together it can go either where old programmer was or where the motorised valves are, both locations should have the wires required.

7. Mertyn

Mertyn New Member

Thanks, presumably both the programmers I have at the moment are single channel. One for HW (on the left) and one for CH (on the right). I imagine i'd need to get the wires from both of the back plates and consolidate them in to a single back plate that the dual channel Hive receiver would then manage?

8. Mertyn

Mertyn New Member

20230519_112139.jpg This is the wiring to the HW programmer

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

What’s behind the receiver?

10. Mertyn

Mertyn New Member

Not checked yet, i'll break it out of its grout and report back

11. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I will guess you can fit the single channel Hive to replace the programmer without doing anything, same back plate, but don't really need Hive for domestic hot water, the Honeywell base can also be replaced with a single channel Hive, but would need the back plate wiring, likely an easy job.

But to combine both to a single Hive depends on how easy to blank one position and run wires to other position. With S plan unlikely the old thermostat is not switching 230 volt, so can fit Hive there, although I would still check it is 230 volt.

What we are looking at is your ability, I would use a twin channel Hive, but as to what you can do, I don't know. upload_2023-5-19_14-4-29.png The wire from B needs to go to 4 on Hive, and the wire in 4 on back plate needs to move to 3, and the red link L to 2 needs removing, so should be easy enough.

12. Mertyn

Mertyn New Member

20230519_145600.jpg wiring to the thermostat receiver. My abilities are limited. If needs be I'll organise a heating engineer to sort. Perhaps combining both programmers into a dual channel Hive is beyond me but I wanted to understand the process

13. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

To me it is easy, but I am an electrician, the big question for me is can I get the black wire in B to the terminal 4 on the Hive. Seems likely it can be threaded through, but this is why I pointed out a single channel Hive to replace the Honeywell base is likely all you need.

Water takes a long time to heat and cool, my house no thermostat so boiler turned on 3 times a week for 1/2 hour a time, and no real need for smart controls. Hive is only really needed for the central heating, so using a single channel Hive is one option.

Mertyn likes this.
  14. Mertyn

Mertyn New Member

Single channel Hive sounds like a reasonable idea however I've got a dual channel now, we do quite like the boost function too!

So talking about the compatible backplate (HW).
    1. I'd need to move the wire from 4 to 3
    2. I'd need the black wire in the honeywell (CH) moved to 4 on the HW backplate
    3. Red link between L and 2 on HW backplate removed
    4. Add Hive receiver to backplate
    5. profit???
    What do I do with the other wires on the now redundant honeywell backplate?

15. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Yes what you propose is correct.
    You can leave the other wires in place and refit the receiver or try disconnecting them from its source if you can locate it.
    The wires may just come from the fused switch so remove that and have a look.