Wiring to shed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tom Mc Carrick, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Tom Mc Carrick

Tom Mc Carrick New Member

I have built a wooden shed behind the house. if I get an electrician to connect a cable to the CU and add a new breaker, Could I do the wiring in the shed myself?
    In the shed I plan to have 4 double sockets and a light and possibly a storage heater.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You can do anything you like by yourself so long as it's legal. If you mean "do I need to notify the work for Part P certification" then the answer is "yes you do".

Tom Mc Carrick likes this.
  3. Fusebox Wales

Fusebox Wales Member

Ask your electrician to spec out the install for your shed. Then after you've done that bit to his spec, he'll be able to come back and test it before running in the new cable and connecting it to your consumer unit. He'll be able to do the Part P notification as well, so long as he's registered.

https://www.fuseboxwales.net/

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you’re lucky enough to find a spark willing to work like that for you…

…as it’s not really legal

5. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Depending on your power requirements you may be able to do the whole thing yourself without the need for notification (in England) by wiring as a fused spur from the ring circuit.

This will be adequate for a light, most DIY type power tools etc. many sheds are done this way - the design of the wiring still needs to meet the standards, but no one else needs involving.

You may find an electrician happy for you to do "donkey work" like trench digging thus saving a bit of money if you want something more advanced and under the scope of notification. (note in Wales, work like this needs noftification whatever)

6. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Perfectly above board

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

No it's not. If you think otherwise then where in the building regs does it say otherwise?

8. bright_Spark

Are you a registered electrician?

9. bright_Spark

How many peoples sheds do you think have a part P ??

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

We went over and over this a few posts ago so why you are raking it up again I don't know.

Again. Part P DOES NOT allow anyone else to notify work done by the registered spark other than the spark DOING the work. The only alternative is to notify BC yourself or do the 3rd party route.

If you think otherwise then WHERE does it say this?

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I have absolutely no idea. Why do you think I should? Do you know?

Edit - what even is a shed that has part p?

12. bright_Spark

Why do you think it is ilegal when a perfectly decent spark comes on here on a public forum and says he will connect up both ends of the cable and test and notify it for part P if it is ilegal, I said exactly the same thing to the chap in Skye and for some strange reason you think it is ilegal. Now there is a massive difference in some sparks attitude towards this common practice and what is ilegal. I think the NICEIC did a survey on this very subject and 86% of the members do not like it as it takes work away from them. It is not ilegal it is an acceptable method and is a very common practice. It isnt a dodgy MOT or any other underhand dealing. It is totally up to the spark if they want to do this.

13. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

Yeah I know that

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

We have been over and over and over this till everyone else on the forum is bored stiff with it.

1. I don't care if someone re-wires a house, a mansion and castle or a shed and then gets someone else to issue the certification to notify building control. I am NOT interested. I am NOT the part p police. It is NOT my concern. I DO NOT care what smashie and nice say about it what surveys they have had done.

2. Part P is a LAW. We live and work to the RULE OF LAW. Part P clearly states that ONLY registered spark can issue certification for work HE has done. Not anyone elses. It is NOT legal.

In the context of what the OP wants to know I think the only decent thing to do is tell him what the reality of the situation is and let them make up their own mind.

I don't know in what other way, shape or form I can explain this to you.

15. bright_Spark

The reality is that you are talking complete nonsense end of..

MR DIAZ likes this.
  16. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

I Concur

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Your saying that because you don't actually have the where with all to formulate a suitable counter argument.

What part of what I'm saying is nonsense?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2021
  18. bright_Spark

I gave you everything in my last post, you choose your own interpretation of it. As you have said it is becoming boring now. Just accept that it is an acceptable method of working and it goes on. I don't care two hoots what you think of it and how you want to view it. I and others will continue until it actually is against the rules.

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You haven't said anything of any relevance at all in any of your previous posts. If you have then where is it? AFAIT all you have done is say "it's perfectly legal" when clearly it is not. You haven't given any valid reason why you think it is legal yet I have repeatable quoted the actual law that relates directly to exactly this situation.

I don't know how I can explain this to you any other way. I don't care what you do, what certs you issue or who you work for. I AM NOT INTERESTED. I COULD NOT CARE LESS. If you (or apparently over half the membership of the nice) are happy to bend the rules then crack on. Just don't start all that moaning again about how part p isn't working when you're part of very problem of WHY it isn't working.

20. bright_Spark

I am part of the problem? Ok mate we will leave it there, only spent 40 odd years in this game and a highly respected sparks but hey ho you know best mate.