Wood burner smoking

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by SGM18, Jan 10, 2023.

1. SGM18

SGM18 Member

Hi all. Help needed.

I’ve had a wood multi stove for a few years now. Cleaned professionally yearly and I usually give it a sweep myself towards the end of the season. Or as I feel the flue getting choked.

this year just at the drop of a hat a week or so ago it’s bellowing smoke into the room when adding wood. So I’ve stopped, swept it, but again just bellows. It doesn’t even take light, just smokes like crazy and coming out of the vents etc. I’ve tried preheating the flue this evening still no better, although I’ve never had to do this before.
    I’m at my wits end, as it’s just come out of no where, usually it’s a gradual build up. It’s just like we’re starving it of oxygen, which nothing has changed air flow wise.

any help / ideas

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

sounds like a blockage in the flue if it’s not lighting. Have you swept the flue right up to the top of the cowl?

3. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I have had the same wood stove for 15 years, flue never been swept because it's never needed it, burning properly it doesn't need it and it's never blocked or smoked, wood, all hardwood is 15% moisture content, this is normal, base line as it were, burning efficiently(normally) doesn't 'choke' the flue.

If smoke is not drawn up the flue something is blocking it, on a rare occasion cold air can do this briefly if there is no wind but it doesn't go into the room because you shut the door?

CGN likes this.
  4. SGM18

SGM18 Member

tbh I’m thinking the same thing. The usual drain rods I use struggle to reach the cowl. And the flexi rods I’ve borrowed the brush is a bit small. I’ve got the right size brush on order, so hoping that will make an improvement. I’m wondering if a pigeon had got stuck in there or something, I get a lot of birds sitting on the chimney

5. SGM18

SGM18 Member

I tried pre heating the flue first tonight with a blow torch in the box first. The. Proceeding to light a fire, smoke just bellowing in the room, so shut the door to stop smoke, then just puffing out of the stove vents.

so frustrating. Never have I’ve experienced this before. Even years gone by if I’ve burnt **** wood, still draws. This whole cold air thing, surely I’d have seen this before?!

6. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

If the smoke doesn't go up...it can't get up, do you have a bend in the flue that something can get stuck in?

Your pre heating thing is a new one on me, why would you pre heat a flue/stove??

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

very possible. Pigeons love chimney flues. I rescued one from a boarded up fireplace in a church about 18mths ago after hearing something tapping away for a day or so. It got lucky, as it was a pigeon graveyard when I opened it up.

Jord86 likes this.
  8. SGM18

SGM18 Member

I thought it was a load of nonsense, but apparently lighting a sheet of newspaper or holding a blowtorch in the stove to get some heat up the pipe first will shift cold air. Never had that before. Yes the flexi flue runs up an old chimney so two 45° bends in the loft. I’m starting to wonder if somethings stuck. I can feel a draught coming down when I open the door, and can hear the wind no problem. Just so annoying as I’ve never had this before, my living room stinks and the missus ain’t a happy bunny lol

9. SGM18

SGM18 Member

I’m tempted to find a long **** snake camera and send it up

10. SGM18

SGM18 Member

My brother thinks it’s my flexi flue that’s unraveled. But I think that’s unlikely.. or could that be a possibility?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

what is at the end of the flu? Pot hanging cowl etc. If the flu has unravelled, then surely it would still vent. You would t need much updraft to be able to still light a fire.
    Is there a baffle in your stove below the flu outlet that can be removed?

12. SGM18

SGM18 Member

Yeah just a cowl that clips the the flexi flue and chimney pot. Just a standard one. Yes a removable baffle plate in the stove. Never had a fire with it removed, thought doing that may risk a chimney fire?
    And yes I’ve thought surely If the flue has unraveled it’d still draw. Just so strange, literally a week ago it’s just stopped working. Can creosote soot build up really stop it drawing?

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I mentioned the baffle, just in case there’s some crud built up. Remove it and check etc. Certainly an enigma, but prob something simple. Might be worth getting a chimney sweep out.

14. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

If it's lined the liner could have failed and spiralled out blocking the flue.

15. SGM18

SGM18 Member

I had a look tonight, nothing irregular there. I think I might have to get the sweep out

CGN likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

prob the easiest and most cost effective at mo. Not a good time of the year to be prancing around on roofs.

Kingscurate likes this.
  17. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I'm worried that you keep saying that, creosote can only build up if you are burning softwood..in a cold vent, either way I have never heard of that ruducing the air flow, catch fire and torch your flue yes but not stop smoke getting out, is it possible that something has collapsed in the chimney and landed on the flue pipe?

Do you have a removable baffle plate in the ceiling of the stove? easy to check if this is blocked, just let it go cold and remove it to check.

CGN likes this.
  18. Robergo1

Robergo1 New Member

I found the below article which may be of help - I had a similar issue which was solved by pre-heating my flue. Seems the issue can be caused bay a number of different factors and it's simply a case of eliminating them one by one.

https://purplesweep.co.uk/f/why-does-my-log-burner-smoke-back

19. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Robergo1,
    The original post is from Jan 2023 but your post is still good advice. Thank you.

Pre-heating is good practice before smoke testing in most installations, and esp where gas fire back plates are being fitted or re-fitted behind appliances.