WOOD CHIP WALLPAPER / PLASTER ASBESTOS

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Mick456, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Mick456

Mick456 New Member

Hi
    Hope someone can help me basically brought a property and needs some renovation some rooms had some wood chip wallpaper so decided to strip them off using steamer but was just wondering as this property is quite old there may be a chance that there might be asbestos in the plaster now my question is i am scraping the wallpaper of using a scraper now if there was asbestos in the plaster by scraping the plaster to get the wall paper off am I releasing the asbestos (if there is any not sure ) or can I scrape to get the wall paper off if you know what I mean

any help would be appreciated as I am new to all this

thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've never seen asbestos in plaster walls yet but have seen it in moulded fireplace that looked like plaster. Also other moulded plaster work.

Ask neighbours if they are aware of any asbestos in their houses or get it tested if your worried about it. Testing is cheap enough

3. Mick456

Mick456 New Member

Hi
    Thanks for your response
    Just few more questions as I am new to building works so currently I have stripped the wood chipped wallpaper do you think it’s unlikely there is asbestos in it and can you see it if there is like different colour of the plaster or something…

also where is asbestos commonly found in domestic houses so I know so I can get some tests done

Thanks

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Asbestos can be in floor tiles they look like plastic. Around fireplace. Soffits. Boiler cupboard. Artex. And many other places. Just have to look online for guidance