Wood Fillers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by koolwabbit, Oct 8, 2003.

1. koolwabbit

koolwabbit New Member

I am new to carpentry and as such seem to need to use filler a few times. Problem is when I go to stain the finished job the filler stays white and notices. the tin says "Can be Stained " , what does this actually mean ?? Should I be using different colour fillers for different finishes ?

HELP Koolwabbit

2. nobby67

nobby67 New Member

Hi try mixing a small amount of stain to filler before applying. Don't mix to much as stain may send filler off more quickly. I find this to work much better and blends in better when you apply stain over whole work piece.

or you could try wood filler like Brummer comes in various colour oak, mahogany,pine, ect

nobby67

3. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I know you asked about fillers some time ago but why not try a tried & tested method that is also cheap?
    Mix some pva glue with dust from a sander & rub that into the gaps. Its a good idea to brush some pva into the wood 1st.
    Of course, it depends on the size that needs filling but it has the advantage that you use the same sanding dust as the wood you are filling. :)

4. WOLF

WOLF New Member

the saw dust trick is all well and good until you start to stain the work, as the pva once set will be totally impervious to the stain!!!!, there are some good quality timber fillers out there, but they do cost, one which we use in my work shop is "Brummers-stopper", which is available in various colours... i do not know if you are colour toning to match the actual timber OR are just using filler to match the end product... as it is no good using say spruce, a neutral filler and hoping to stain it say mahogany... you have to use a filler that is close to the "FINAL" colour wanted....as most "stainable" fillers will only go a shade or two down in colour
    hope this helps.