wood for "Covered area"

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by squareye, Dec 10, 2006.

1. squareye

squareye New Member

Hello,
    I'm hoping for a bit of advice on choosing the right size wood for a lean-to bikeport, built by roofing an area next to the house.It's 4 metres by 2.5 metres, attached to the wall.I'm using 10mm polycarbonate to roof, 3 posts 100mm sq in metal post holders concreted in 600mm deep to hold it up. I was going to put up a wall plate 120mm x 45mm, dyna bolted on, a 100mm x 45mm, for the front beam, set into the posts by 25mm or so, same size for the end rafters, bolted-up then truss brackets to hold 95mm x 45mm rafters, with a coachbolt into the ends. I wasn't sure if I need any crossways bracing between the rafters.
    Then I went to look at a similar type of thing,recently and professionally put up, a smoking shelter at the back of the pub, only about 4metres x 4 metres, and it was made with 150mm x 50mm through out, it seemed a bit heavy to me ,the roof sheet is light, I've got room to pitch 3 feet. so not a huge amount of snow will sit.Is there a Building standard to look at? Its under 30sq metres,open 2 sides so I don't need a warrant, I'm putting in for planning, because of where it is.
    I reckon there will be a big shout for carport type smoking shelters at pubs, you guys down south, when the Cig ban comes in, already got it up here in Scotland. See they are cunningly bringing it in in Summer when its not too bad going outside for a Cig....