wood glue, strongest with gap-filling properties...?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by allways_learning, Jan 26, 2008.

1. allways_learning

allways_learning New Member

Hello all,

I am looking for some wood adhesive that is strong, really strong, but can also gap-fill, from 1 or 2mm up to about 5 mm max..... I can clamp the two parts together whiles it sets, so speed is not an issue, just strength and the ability to fill a gap between the two surfaces, which are not as flat as I would like....

Has anyone used a product or brand that they can recommend?

Many thanks in advance

2. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

polyurathne glue is all i can think of. 5mm is alot to fill

3. allways_learning

I know.... :(
    Are all the PUs the same, EvoStik, Gorilla, GeoCell etc or does one stand out above the others do you think....?

4. chip off the block

think they are all simlar. I only use it for putting chipboard flooring down

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

for big gap filling capacity use tubes of PUR glue

for minor gaps and correct joints use the more fluid gorilla type

ive never decided that one make is better than any other

7. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Hi,
    Castermite is good for splits, probably not 5mm.

We have just ordered a load of bottle glue that foams up when it goes off..... that might be the best for gap filling, and it is definatley strong, I had a wooden panel that i used that glue with stuck to my work bench the next day ended up having to dismantle the work bench to get it off! haha

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sounds like you'd be better off gluing it where it touches, then using a wood filler for the gaps.

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. chip off the block

what is this for?

10. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Try The West system epoxy glues you can add a filler powder to them to bulk them out if your joints are a bit loose and they are very strong.

If there is enough room in a joint for PU to foam it will loose its strength.

Jason

11. parana

parana New Member

Humbrol extramite one shot powdered resin is strong with reasonable gap filling properties, maybe not 5mm though.

12. allways_learning

13. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

Try that tomato sauce that baked beans come in. Ever tried washing it off a plate once it's "set" overnight?

Oh and milk/corn flakes have a similar chemical reaction once they're dry. Almost impossible to remove.

Cheaper than glue and you can get them in tesco!

14. handcraft

handcraft New Member

what do you need to glue for

lee

15. Jeremy Broun

Jeremy Broun New Member

Have you guys not heard of Cascamite? It has been a favourite for decades. It is the only strong bonding gap filling glue oter than an epoxy resin and in my experience Cascamite is better. Ideally all glued wood joints should be tight dry (with wood to wood surface contact).

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Cascamite is used extensively for chicken house trusse manufacture.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wow!

Didn't know it was still around, I use to use Cascamite over 30 years ago.:eek:

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Woodweld or Timberweld is the best gap filling adhesive I have come across and I have used cascamite.
    It's a pu adhesive that comes in a cartridge.
    It sets with a bond better than timber in around 10 mins.

19. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Bit late on this post but I would use D4 Egger. It's foaming in action and therefore possesses good gap fill characteristics. It's reasonable in price and our hosts carry it as a stock item.

20. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I'll say, its over 8 years old. :);)

vivaro man likes this.