Wood v UPVC windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pikerray, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

I'm about to replace all my windows, I am looking at Wood for traditional character, but my other half wants UPVC so less maintenance, so what's your preferred choice & why ?

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

This one will run and run.........

Softwood - IMHO much better looking than plastic and pacifies the green tub-thumpers. Can be procured factory glazed and factory finished with 20 year rot/fungal decay guarantee and 10 year paint guarantee, (but you'll pay for it!!), and can therefore be as low maintenance as uPVC. Buying frames and glazing/painting on site can work out cheaper than uPVC but maybe not quite as well finished, depending on how your brush work is!!

uPVC - cheaper than factory glazed/finished softwood, low maintence.

If cost were the only criteria, go for plastic.

If aesthetics are fore-most, together with ecological responsibility, go for softwood.

3. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

plastic, plastic,plastic!................................
    we have to save the trees!:)

4. FurryMuff

FurryMuff New Member

A fact not a lot know.

Timber windows are more environmentally friendly than upvc!

The timber is produced from trees in a managed environment and the majority of which are certified plus at the end of the windows life span fully recyclable.
    UPVc on the other hand produces toxins upon manufacture and again when disposed of.

One point to consider with the timber is that hardwood is not much more, cost wise than S/W currently. 10-15%

Try Fairoak Timber Products Ltd in Salisbury, will produce what you want to the spec level you want enables you to pay as much or as little as you want. Also they use laminated timber which has no Knots and reduces bowing and twisting with.

Check out there website have a handy Q&A section and details.

[Edited by: admin8]

5. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

2 posts, 2 mentions of a certain window company!MMMMMMMMM! me thinks we have some self promoting going on here!;)

6. m x

m x New Member

Wood v UPVC windows ........
    ....... there's only one way to find out.... FIGHT!!!!!

7. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

NO! love and peace man, oh and save the trees:)

8. FurryMuff

FurryMuff New Member

Hey cordless, afraid your get a splinter!

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

not at all, use wood all day long mate, by the way how much do you get paid for each link to fairoakwindows you put into this forum, spotted 4 this evening allready, do you reckon double figures by eleven?

10. peterob

peterob New Member

yeah i thought i could smell spam too

11. dunc

dunc New Member

Plastics are products of the petrol industry. Oil was formed largely from trees, billions of years ago.

So either way the trees cop it.

12. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

wooden windows is a no no these days.last firm i knew that made wooden windows they went bust cos lack of business.
    don't know of anyone in the jast 12 years that has fitted wooden windows.
    2008 mate not 1988.

13. evo nut

evo nut New Member

DIRTYDOO,

Clearly you have no idea about wooden windows in London then.

I fitted them for over 2 years till i wanted a change from doing it.

That was fitting everyday 6 days a week.

Incedently the lead time was 14 weeks we were so busy...

Lack of business where do you live the moon?

evo nut

14. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

north.you lot av always been behind on the times.
    get up to date /no one fits wooden windows now only eco warrior's.

15. evo nut

evo nut New Member

ha could of said you'd be north

dirtydoo your A TIGHT G!T

16. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

is no one! thinking of the trees!:):)

17. evo nut

evo nut New Member

yep DIRTYDOO is cause he don't like spending paper money which comes from trees!!!

18. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

I'm doing a batch of windows right now in the workshop (our bestseller) they are wooden of course and are multi-point locking system windows........... better than UPVC by far! I'll try and take some pictures on my rubbish camera fone and upload them next week as they should be nearing completion by Wednesday......... maybe change peoples minds form UPVC to wood!

Simon
    http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork

19. evo nut

evo nut New Member

20. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Did you do the espag locking system windows?

Because I'm young they seem to be the "modern" window and I always end up doing them, lovely job to do..... but as you've said it does get boring sometimes..... I just try and get a bit of variety here and there when I can, by doing all the other stuff doors........ combi frames... arches........ sash windows...... n the rest!