Wood v UPVC windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pikerray, Mar 7, 2008.

1. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Simon,

Not sure mate.

When I started with them theyt were just using a basic lock which you locked with a giant T KEY.

When i left the windows where with locking systems no idea of the make but they had a stay on the bottom and you could lock the window open for example.

evo nut

2. judethewood

judethewood Member

speaking from the point of view of the eejit who used to paint the wooden ones....go plastic. painting frames is the second worst job in the world. j

3. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

second only to preping them!;)

4. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

evo we deal with a lot of rchitects/housebuilders and developers and not one of them has specified wooden windows in the last 10 years.
    what does that tell eco.

5. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

evo we deal with a lot of rchitects/housebuilders and developers and not one of them has specified wooden windows in the last 10 years.
    what does that tell eco.

6. judethewood

judethewood Member

ha ha..... second only to diy brain surgery. j

7. two by one

two by one New Member

I have never fitted a UPVC window but have replaced them, they are considered to devalue the property down south...

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I have never fitted a UPVC window but have replaced
    them, they are considered to devalue the property
    down south...

...But they are one of the well-mentioned selling points in an estate agents description!

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. evo nut

evo nut New Member

DIRTYDOO,

well obviously as i said earlier price is everything

down here in the south wooden windows increases the property value

evo nut

10. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Theres an estate agent who buys properties, refurbishes them and then sells them on in Birminham. Everytime he comes to the workshop for wooden windows!

Simon
    http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

FWIW I don't think uPVC is ageing very well. We have a late 20's house with a rounded bay window, and the uPVC frames and sills put in but the last owner maybe 10 yrs ago frankly look rubbish. They also have too much movement in them so there are continual drafts around the edges where the frames join to the bricks.

I've never seen wooden products with multipoint systems, but would be very interested if someone could post that link again.

That said uPVC is very cheap. I've just put in a back door, a french door 2.4m wide and a 2.1 x 2.4m window and the whole lot was £1750.

Hope that helps.

12. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

upvc is a pretty naff product really. It goes grey and brittle in the sun and looks dirty in no time at all. My father has work in the plastic window industry for 35 years for both l b plastics(sheerframe) and synseal and what windows does he have.... hardwood

13. FurryMuff

FurryMuff New Member

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I worked on a site in Dec and all 40 houses were having wooden sash windows and doors fitted.

15. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

One problem with timber windows and adding all these new(upvc type) locking mechanisms, is that it weakens the structure of the wood, whereas with the upvc it doesn't.

Some of these timber ones, you can pull apart with your hands because of the rebating.

Upvc is much stronger and very difficult to attack without the proper tools.

That is one benefit of upvc - security.

Mr. Handyandy - really

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Thanks guys!

Joiner Sim - how do you make them arches?

18. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Andy- I can't comment on any timber windows with locking mechanisms that you have came across. But the window system we use has been attack tested and it took a couple of tweaks here and there but our windows are SOLD SECURE and as strong as UPVC, if not stronger.

http://www.soldsecure.com/

19. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Jimbo-

Bandsaw and glue! Different sections half lapping each other to form a strong join & screwed together.

20. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

hmm I'm tempted by a band saw, one on axminster with a base for £140 at the mo.

Your windows and particularly the curves look absolutely stunning :)