Wood v UPVC windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Pikerray, Mar 7, 2008.

1. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Thankyou. I think the bandsaw I use in the workshop was over £2,000 but I can't see there being much difference really! Nice good belt sand gets any marks out.

2. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

Joiner Sim I am impressed with your windows, are you bringing out a brochure with prices as I will be changing all 10 of my windows shortly ?

I am having trouble convincing my other half about going timber framed windows again, maintenance being the issue, she wants bloody plastic, but I want to put some character into the property which plastic does not do.

3. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

upvc windows are not secure at all!!! the platic bends for a start. See it all the time where they have been forced open with a crowbar with what looks lke minimum effort

4. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

wot type of windows are they kid.
    a proper upvc widow will have steel re inforcement all the way round,

5. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Pikerray:

Sorry we don't have any brochures or price lists as we are bespoke joinery manufacturers. We do have a sample window with the locking system in though, which is available to view.

Just this week we have added to the design of the multi-point locking system windows. We can now do mock sash windows that are multi-point locking system as well.

6. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

7. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

can any one be sure that upvc will not start to degrade after 25 years?. wooden windows ave been around a while. there is a debate among the intelligentsia re. upvc and degrading due to ultra violet rays or summit.

8. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

wood is the best by far!

9. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

they, the intelligenta that is were on about the plastic window industry trying to make people think that windows were like white goods, to be replaced every seven years or so,or their owners would appear to be out of fashion.

10. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

as far as reinforcing goes not all sections need it. Yeah some companies put it in all section but most will put the minimum in. Also the reinforcing does not go all the way to the corner

11. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

All the evidence (none of which I can quote) since it's all anecdotal and therefore useless in a philosophical debate suggests that timber is the best option for the simple reason that it's bio-degradeable. It's also much easier to work with than plastic and plastic is like nuclear waste: it won't bugger off and die when it's not needed anymore!