Wooden deck balustrade

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by FrazerG, Sep 13, 2021.

1. FrazerG

FrazerG New Member

I am building a large deck for my daughter and cost has become an issue. The balustrade now is to be made of atop and bottom rail with 40mm x 40mm spindle. The rails have insert fillers.
    I have seen 2 ways of doing the construction. One screws the spindles to a complete lenght of infill and then the whole is fitted to the rail top and bottom. The other way is to cut the filler into 100mm lenghts and put the spindles directly into the channel in the rails and use the filler as spacers. I used the latter method years ago on a small section down some steps but this is a much bigger task. To add to the problem there is a slight variation in the length of the spindles, 1 to 2mm. Any suggestions as which method you suggest. There are over 300 spindles!

2. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

I sometimes do balustrades for customers. With 300 spindles to do , I think most
    people's concentration will eventually waver when using the complete length of
    infil method.

3. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

The latter. Set up a simple jig for your saw to get rapid, identical, repeatable infill pieces. Much better job, and very quick to do. The difference in heights won’t be noticeable if it’s only 1-2mm.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Even with all your infill pieces cut to the same length as above, check your spindles for plumb regularly because it's easy for creep to set in.

Edit: Depending on the shape of the spindle you may need to make your infills slightly less than 100mm. It is important that the gap between spindles would not allow a 100mm sphere to pass between them at any point.