Wooden greenhouse - roof rafter protection

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by AnotherDIYer2020, Apr 22, 2020.

1. AnotherDIYer2020

AnotherDIYer2020 New Member

First time poster, but frequently visit the forum as I trawl the web for DIY solutions. On this one I'm stumped....

I have half a wooden conservatory (not the roof) and would like to rebuild/repurpose it into a greenhouse.

I've just started the foundations and am planning the build, but I'm stuck looking for one item.

I need a channel which screws on to the the outside of the roof rafters and then allows you to clip an aluminium/plastic protection cover to it. Similar mechanism the carpet fitters use as room spacers. Essentially it keeps the wood roof rafters out of the rain.

Any ideas what it's called? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions on how to protect the wood roof rafters from the elements?

2. BW70

BW70 Member

I just know it as a glazing bar as I'd looked at it when I built my greenhouse as well, I assume it's something along these lines you're after: https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=glazing+bar
    As for painting and protection, I'm almost sure it was Cuprinol Outdoors paint I used, that comes in loads of colours and it has held up well although the interior which is dry lasts better than the exposed outside which needs a coat every so often.

3. AnotherDIYer2020

AnotherDIYer2020 New Member

Amazing that's the ticket. Thank you!

Yeah painting is a pain with wooden greenhouses, but they do look really nice.