Wooden gutters

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by screwfox, Jul 13, 2007.

1. screwfox

screwfox New Member

I am about to replace my wooden gutters, how do you join the gutters to the plastic downpipe? Do you just drill a large hole in the gutter and shove the pipe in, or is there something like a spigot I need to buy?

Thanks

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

wtf!?

3. JamesG

JamesG New Member

Are they lead lined?

4. screwfox

screwfox New Member

No they are not lead lined, they are just tanalised.

5. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

The same way as they are joined now??

6. > I am about to replace my wooden gutters, how do you
    join the gutters to the plastic downpipe?

..relace the wood with plastic guttering

7. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Its a zinc top hat flange that screws to the base and inserts into the downpipe (cast or plastic inserts are available) They are barely visible but for a tiny ring of the outer flange which is easily completly hidden. Butumastic sealent is coated around the opening and the flange base to seal it completely.

Wooden gutters are a great way to go and offer a great look to the eaves more so on older houses. You dont get the 'glugging' sounds that you get with conventional materials and they are so easy peasy to make and/or repair. I saw several in South Carolina, Georgia and Misissippi and one here in Warwickshire. I have seen others here but a long time ago.

Look in the RIBA Product Selector and you'll find a supplier close to you. They can be made quite easily in copper too - Might be worth a go

8. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Thanks Charley.

I've already bought the replacement gutters (ex stock from Arnold Laver at Bradford), I'll prep them, then pull down the old ones and pull the flanges out and stick them in the new ones before replacement.

Wooden gutters are really common up here in yorkshire. The cottage is 150 years old and would look ** with plastic gutters. I was quoted for aluminium, but the price was prohibitive.

Thanks again CF

[Edited by: admin5]

9. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Its a zinc top hat flange that screws to the base and inserts into the downpipe.

I have seen them in America and Yorkshire.

10. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

The old ones will be made of lead and are chopped into the gutter from the inside,bed them in mastic and nail with tacks.
    If the old ones are knackered you can get them at Woodheads in Bradford.Ask for a lead drop.

11. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

12. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I'm doing the job next weekend, i'll come back and let you know how I get on.

13. chrisinleedsuk

chrisinleedsuk New Member

How did you get on with the job...?

Need to do a repair on mine, replacing a section so that involves two joins and a downpipe.

14. Flippin 'eck≠

Flippin 'eck≠ New Member

I heard that the gutter fell down and killed him.

Sad but true.

15. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Nice to see some replies from real pros (not you flippin eck!). I learned something about wooden gutters!

I bought my first house here in Norway yesterday and that has wooden gutters, in fact, come to think of it the whole house is made of wood (apart from the glass ok guys!)

I personally think that they look good too, plastic stuff is naff and doesn't last as long as you think. Some that I fitted 25 years ago is looking pretty faded and poor now, even the osma stuff.

Ta for the info :)