Wooden Plug

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Dormouse, Apr 29, 2007.

1. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Some time ago I became aware of a wooden bayonet plug which had been rolling around in the bottom of the family tool box for as long as I could remember. This rare item presumably dated from before the invention of bakelite, I guess it might be made of beech. It must have been very time consuming to machine the threads retaining the two parts & the contact recesses.

As it had only survived by some miracle, I donated it to a local museum at Hall Place Bexley, where anyone who thinks this is a wind-up can see it. I took two photos of it years ago with a primitive digital camera, one assembled & the other with the top removed. Here they are courtesy of S/fix & Photobucket

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/DORMICE40/plug1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/DORMICE40/plug2.jpg

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Looks like it was designed to be used as a bayonet plug in a light fitting pendant. Quite common in the early part of the century and quite unpopular with the fire brigade I would imagine.

UP

3. I have a couple of those that i found on top of a old wooden fuse box i changed. There was also a 'tree' of bakelight 5A roundpin 3 way adapters

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Would have been a very useful addition to a test kit in the days when 99% of luminaires used std BC lamps...

5. ProDave

ProDave New Member

I remember when I was a boy, taking power from a light fitting was common practice, but then houses just had one socket per room, if you were lucky. I recall a plastic version (probably bakelite) of this plug, in use with an adaptor that was basically a tee. So you still had a light bulb plugged in, and the plug plugged into the tee adaptor. There was even a switch built into the adaptor to turn the light bulb on and off (so you could leave the power on for the radio, or whatever was plugged in) I recall in our garage, this tee adaptor etc fed a 15A round pin socket so my dad could plug in his electric drill.

I have a 13A plug that I was given that has another 13A socket built into it's top, so in theory you could stack an unlimited amount of them into each other from 1 socket.

I also have a bakelite 13A single socket, the type with the fixing screws at the top and bottom, not at the sides.

By the way, when did they stop having the fixing screws top and bottom and changed to fitting them at the sides. I did some work on an old cottage recently that still had 13A double sockets fixed by 4 screws, two top and two bottom, but the metal back boxes also had screw fixing holes at the sides as well.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

...you still fitting these then Dave? lol

7. ProDave

ProDave New Member

...you still fitting these then Dave? lol

No of course not. In this case the customer just wanted the minimum work to make the place safe. They will get it rewired in about 5 years when they build an extension.

What I did find was these old back boxes with screw tabs top and bottom do not accommodate modern fittings properly. The top and bottom tabs got in the way for part of the internal parts of modern sockets, so I had to bend the top and bottom tabs out of the way. Oh and of course re use the old imperial screws that came out of the old fitting.

The old (MK) 4 hole fixing double sockets were lethal. You could touch the protruding screw heads from the terminals just with a bare finger.

I'll ask again, when did they stop making 4 hole (top and bottom) fixing sockets etc. That will help me to date this very old installation.

I still use my stackable 13A plug with built in socket though :)