woodgrain doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by made2fail, Mar 28, 2010.

1. made2fail

made2fail New Member

can anyone advise me please as to where I can purchase a wood grain colonial door to fit a raised airing cupboard,not quite sure on the size as don't get the new house till tuesday,would imagine approx 1m in depth

thanks in advance mb

2. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

B & Q
    Wickes
    Homebase
    Jewsons
    Travis Perkins
    Howdens
    Magnet
    MKM
    Buildbase
    or any local DIY store or builders merchant!

3. made2fail

made2fail New Member

thanks for the reply hallbeck,i've looked online & can only see full size doors,i'll have to call in at my local stores & have a word at the trade counters.
    mb

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If it really is a metre wide, I presume you meant width not depth, you're going to have problems unless you can get a disabled access door wide enough, but I doubt that.

5. made2fail

made2fail New Member

i did mean 1 metre in depth,its an airing cupboard in a bedroom, over the stairs so only has a half depth door on it

6. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Do you mean height?

7. made2fail

made2fail New Member

yes ok lets say height, can somebody please advise of a supplier

8. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Virtually no chance of finding a half height door. Just get one of the correct width and cut it down to the height you need.

If it is a pressed panel (i.e. hollow) you will need to work out where to cut to get a sensible looking result and you will fit a new head and/or foot.

9. flyingscotsman

Yes, lets say height because that`s the proper terminology. Buy a door and halve it.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're an engineer and don't know the difference between height, width and depth :(

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Steady on. If it is coming down from the ceiling, then 'depth' may well be a good description, as normal doors are considered to be measure/estimated from the 'floor' up.

If there were no door there, the wall might well be described as the 'depth' from ceiling to lowest part.

Just saying.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A door is a separate solid shape and has a height = top to bottom, a width = side to side and a depth = front to back.

13. flyingscotsman

You wouldn`t be the O.P. would you mandy, with a little nom de plume. :)

14. Mr. Handyandy

Height = Bottom to Top.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Mr. Handyandy

Depth = downward, backward or inward.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a door not a swimming pool you cretin.

17. flyingscotsman

So Bandymandy, every chippie is wrong, you are right. As we are on the CARPENTERS forum, I will ask. Does any time served carpenter on here, when measuring a door, refer to that particular measurement, as depth. ( Why am I even bothering with this clown?)

18. flyingscotsman

I suppose I could start using "bandyspeak"...Depth...wideness...thickness. :)

19. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I'm after a 1m depth door for the kitchen. At least it'll keep er indoors firmly in there. ;)

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Try Fort Knox :^O