woodgrain doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by made2fail, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't blame me for your own inadequacies, not being able to diversify with your thoughts.

Top to bottom = DEPTH.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not on a door!

3. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

"OUR INADEQUECIES" Are you a complete fool!!! every CARPENTER/JOINER/WOODWORKER/PERSON WITH ANY SENSE, measures that as height, end of. So by your "logic" if I decide to call a window, a door, that`s fine. You`ll notice MY spelling of the word inadequecies, bugger the Chambers dictionary, I want to spell it that way so that makes it correct.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Like the 'dic' bit.

In the absence of a door(in the OPs case), would you call the aperture from ceiling down 'depth' ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

HA look at the title of the post, does it say "woodgrain door" or object with woodgrain pattern to fill an aperture from ceiling down? And how do you give the dimensions of a door, oh yes it's height x width x depth.

6. Mr. Handyandy

"to fill an aperture from ceiling down" Depth = 1m approx.

Sounds good to me.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. flyingscotsman

Irrelevant to the post, but I, and I would wager every TRADESMAN on here, would refer to it as the height, from floor to ceiling.

8. flyingscotsman

Bandy, can you point out where the O.P. says from ceiling down. He says, 1mtr. depth, terminology one would expect from someone not trained in the art of the building trade, someone like yourself,

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This argument started because the OP, who is an engineer, didn't know how to write down dimensions either.

10. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

I am about 5ft 9 deep then.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

and HA is as thick as two short planks :)

12. flyingscotsman

Just had a thought, the O.P. is conspicious by his absence. Is it just my suspicious nature, or could it be one of Bandys little nom de plumes, trying to create confrontation. He definitely sees himself as a "thinking out of the box kind of guy" The only problem is he can not differentiate from, "thinking outside the box" from "thinking whilst out of ones box" therein lies our problem chaps. :)

13. Mr. Handyandy

Sorry guys, but you are taking this TOO far.

Measured down from the ceiling, is DEPTH.

You cannot have height measure from the top down.

So what, if the OP mentioned in in this way ?

And does it make a difference one way or the other ?

No. As long as it's understood what is meant!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But we didn't understand what he meant! That is the whole point of a standardised way of giving dimensions. If window dimensions are given as width then height and you order them as height then width your windows will fit sideways, you of all people should know that.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I forgot to mention that it doesn't matter whether you measure the height of a new door from the top down or the bottom up, it's the same.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The only person you mentioned measuring the wall whether from the top or bottom or up or down was you.

17. made2fail

made2fail New Member

ok i'm not a trained chippie, i only wanted to know where i could purchase a door,not really wanting to cause a heated debate. I think you all knew really that the door would not be 1m in thickness don't you ???

I think i've got the message now,width-height-thickness

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You didn't start a heated argument Hand Shandy did but he does that all the time. I didn't think you wanted a door 1M thick I thought you meant 1M wide.
    Any way I think the idea was for you to cut a door of the correct width down to the correct height.
    If it is a hollow core door this will leave you with at least one end without an internal rail, you can take this out of the off cut and glue into the new position.

19. wuddy

wuddy Member

height width depth my *

your all wrong

you measure a door height width thickness

who the **** asks how deep a door is? well maybe some of you do but i ask the thickness (on this forum and when referring to doors)

;)

[Edited by: admin]