woodgrain doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by made2fail, Mar 28, 2010.

1. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

We realised you weren`t a trained chippie when you said depth, but we had to clarify the height/width thing before giving advice. Bandymandy then comes on with the moronic statement, it doesn`t matter. This guy has a bee in his bonnet about ANY tradesman, he seems to think that using correct terminology, tried and trusted methods is for the birds. I think in his "mind" he is using intellectual argument to shoot down professional people. In this instance your post was answered before he came on with his bullpoo. As you can see, he still will not let it sink in, the guy is a fool.

2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

If i was measuring a wall, i would stick the tape up to the celing and measure down to the floor.....
    Is this the "depth" of the wall?...........is it shyyte, it's the height!!!!!!!
    Why the hell would i get a ladder out just so i measure upwards!!!!!!!!!!
    :)

3. flyingscotsman

4. flyingscotsman

OOPS!!! operating two computers at the same time. Should read...excuse me Mr.Wuddy. etc.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've no problem with using depth or thickness in relationship to a door.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

and now the stupid forum bug is making this stick.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

stupid bug :(

8. flyingscotsman

This Bandy one is getting to you chips, ignore him. ;)

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No there is a bug on the forum and it indicates that there a new post on a topic when there isn't and the only way to get rid of it is to post on said topic. Perhaps Handy has it bad and thats why he won't let go even when he's in the wrong. :)

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If i was measuring a wall, i would stick the tape up to the celing and measure down to the floor.....
    Is this the "depth" of the wall?...........is it shyyte, it's the height!!!!!!!
    Why the hell would i get a ladder out just so i measure upwards!!!!!!!!!!

Not getting at you Audi, but the situation is measuring down from the ceiling only 1m(not to the floor). Would you still say 'height' ?

'The height from the ceiling down' ?

It's my point exactly, that others can't seem to read between the lines on anything other that 'wot they bin taught'.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. wuddy

wuddy Member

Should read...excuse me Mr.Wuddy. etc.

just a bit tounge in cheek scotty

do you really refer to the depth or do you refer to the thickness

off topic but on topic
    depth in my opinion is always the distance away from you if you are inside or looking inside a room/box

for an outside measurement length is the longest dimension width is the middle dimension and depth is the smaller dimension

i may be wrong as i have not really thought it through but i can always do a bandymandy and grasp at straws if i am ;)

12. flyingscotsman

Like you Wudster, (see we`re pals now)length-width-thickness. :)

13. Mr. Handyandy

Problem is wuddy, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, and always will be.

To me, depth goes down, or inward (always).

Height goes bottom to top (always).

A hole in the ground can be 3ft deep, but 3ft high, only if you are in it.

And if anyone needs to be got at, it's chippie. It was he who took the mick out of the engineer for not knowing the terrminology. It was not I.

I'm just chuffed to know that chippie didn't have a clue what the OP was on about cos it 'wasn't wot he woz taught, like'.

:^O:^O:^O:^O

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. flyingscotsman

AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!! WASN`T ME, height- width-thickness, phew, that was close, blame the brandy.

15. wuddy

wuddy Member

16. flyingscotsman

***, "ONLY IF YOU ARE IN IT" you are well and truly in it (again) so STOP DIGGIN!!!

17. wuddy

wuddy Member

gandy
    i think chippie was right in asking the op

the op asked about a door width and everyone bar you would assume he means the measurement left to right regardless of how deep your hole is and what your sticking in it

then when questioned the op said "lets call it height then" as if everyone was wrong and he was humouring them

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Handy, you are the only person that mentioned the wall whether it was measuring it up, down, sideways or backwards.
    The OP talked about an airing cupboard door's depth being 1M, I realised he didn't mean depth as in thickness because that would be stupid, so what is more likely a door a metre wide or a door a metre high.
    When asked what he really meant the OP came in with a stroppy answer and as he was an engineer and should have known better he got a stroppy reply.
    Then you piped up...........

19. flyingscotsman

WHY OH! WHY? Did I say stop digging.

20. Mr. Handyandy

gandy
    i think chippie was right in asking the op

the op asked about a door width and everyone bar you would assume he means the measurement left to right regardless of how deep your hole is and what your sticking in it

then when questioned the op said "lets call it height then" as if everyone was wrong and he was humouring them

Wuddy. Is that a description of your brain (woody)?

OP NEVER asked about width, he said depth. As chippie said, there is NO depth measurement for a door, depth cannot mean width, so only leaves one option really. Quite reasonable to state the measurement from ceiling down.
    Obvious to most!

(Thinking further, if he HAD said height, it might have confused you more, imagining the measurement was from the floor up, but it wasn't)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really