Woodworking machinery safety

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by aarrttyy, Oct 6, 2018.

1. aarrttyy

aarrttyy New Member

It has been some years since I worked in a joinery shop and during a conversation recently with someone I was informed that all woodworking shops now had to have a button, or possibly some buttons, which when pushed would stop every machine in the shop. This was a safety requirement.

I was a little surprised to hear this, can anyone confirm or otherwise please?

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

All (enewly employing) workshops got to have equipment RCA switch, dust extraction, business permit from local council, includes additional checks by H&SE and environmental inspections, accident or near accident report books, public liability insurance to cover employees and premises. Bit of a minefield TBH.

3. aarrttyy

aarrttyy New Member

Yes, I can appreciate the minefield bit but when I Google RCA switch all I find is audio switching gear. Is the RCA switch a device that all machinery can be stopped at one go from somewhere in the shop?

4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

5. aarrttyy

aarrttyy New Member

I know about no volt release, they have been standard for years. The thing I am told is now a requirement is a switch, or a number of switches, placed around the shop such that if someone gets into trouble using a machine someone other than the operator concerned can hit the switch and turn off all the machines in the shop by disconnecting the power supply to the whole shop. Is this a requirement?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Was an HSE requirement about 30 years ago.

7. BW70

BW70 Member

I work in a joinery workshop and I'm not familiar with any such switch. Every machine has an isolator switch on the wall beside it and every machine has an emergency stop button (as well as regular stop button) but I haven't come across a switch/switches placed in the workshop that would turn off all the power to every machine at once. We've safety checks regular and some independent checks by I assume is some clients to ensure that our work shop is up to spec. I'm in N.Ireland so not sure if we're any different compared to rest of UK.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There is a button that stops all machines in joiners shops working instantly.

Its on the dashboard of the snack wagon.

njm, Jord86, PhilSo and 2 others like this.
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Next thing you know, someone will be claiming that all the machinery has to be 110V - DIY otherwise....

Jord86 and chippie244 like this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've worked in a small workshop that was set up like that and a lot of big workshops that weren't.

11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

KEK!
    Although honestly, I worked in several workshops and 110 has been best solution for most small tools/equipment

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not.

13. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

But is!

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did you vote Brexit? I'm just trying to work out quite how stupid you are.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

110v in a workshop?

Why?

I have worked in loads and everyone used 240v whenever they could.

110v is on its way out anyway.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Alv, you need to have a sit down and rethink what you're saying.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am a bit wary of the isolators on certain machines e.g. things like wood turning, routing or even a heavy duty mitre saw where the air flow caused by the rotational speed of the blade generates a smoother operation of the blade, taking the power away can cause the blade to drop unexpectedly.

18. aarrttyy

aarrttyy New Member

So it is not a requirement now? Or have I got that wrong?

19. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know we've failed to answer your question properly - sorry about that. Just a thought though - if someone else was remotely able to power down a machine, is there an increased risk of an accident as surely the braking mechanisms on some machines require a power supply to work properly?