Woody roots growing

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by jay24s, Jan 4, 2021.

1. jay24s

jay24s New Member

had to take render of bay window an found woody roots growing on bricks an looks in in the morter .how to deal with it ? What is it ?

Attached Files:

2. These could possibly be ivy roots, is there any green foliage nearby?

3. jay24s

jay24s New Member

There is ivy in the back garden, I’m thinking it’s possibly from the big tree in the front. I could possibly have roots from that growing under the front garden and growing up the wall maybe ? Iv never seen anything like this before.

4. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, Tree roots most likely underground or in drains. Ivy roots can travel through walls and buildings. At the last place of my employment, ivy roots had penetrated the corner wall of a building resulting in considerable costs to demolish the wall and rebuild. Over several years the roots had grown in diameter and started to push the bricks out of alignment. PS the ivy on the wall was removed and destroyed.

5. jay24s

jay24s New Member

If I get a strong weed killer /tree root killer and cover all the roots hopefully it kills everything?

6. Try and trace the roots back as far as possible and then remove them. Application of any herbicide may run the risk of killing the tree if you suspect that’s where they originate. It’s more than likely that it is ivy roots though. The ivy may have been removed from the front of the wall, but the roots remain. On further study of the image it looks like the roots may be dead, they don’t look particularly healthy. It might be worth just checking whether they’re still alive by pulling off a piece and seeing if there is any flex or moisture. If they’re dead, they should feel brittle.