Worcester 28i Boiler leak from underneath and outlet pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SnosRap75, Jan 3, 2018.

1. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

Hi,

My Worcester 28i seems to be leaking from the underneath and the outlet pipe. This must have gone on for some time as I only noticed as my kitchen top has now deformed in shape. I have run some tests, i.e. running taps, running the shower etc.. It appears that it leaks when the heating is running. The current pressure is 1.8, yesterday it had dropped to around 0.5. When the heating is running it hits around 1.8 to 2 bar, when it is running I can then see a drip coming from the 90 degree bend on the copper pipe for the water outlet. Having checked outside, water was also spluttering from the outlet? I would appreciate any thoughts before I call someone in..

Thanks,

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Sounds like your pressure relief valve is opening and you have a leak on the pipework as well.

3. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

Thank you for the quick response. So they would be seperate? Its odd as the mains water out from the boiler goes directly upstairs, at the bottom of this pipe at the 90 degree point is some green copper (mold) see the first image.

In the second image you can see where I have highlighted two drips. The one to the left drips around once every two seconds when the heating is on. Not I don't think when just running water. The one to the right is a wet drip, however I rarely can see it drip in any instance. I was wondering if it was running down the pipe from under the boiler, having said that im concerned about the green mold which seems to demonstrate a leak. (Worries me as it could be anywhere in the cavity upstairs behind a fully tiled and integrated shower....).

I thought it was a boiler issue once I seen the drips from below and splutter from the outlet outside.

boiler 1.PNG boiler 2.PNG

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Think I may have misunderstood your original post. The pipe outside that drips water ,is it plastic ? I thought it was copper ( which would be the pressure relief pipework ). But if its plastic it is condensate pipework ,and that will drip outside to drain when boiler is running. Which is it ? Can't tell from pics where the leaks originate ,but the soldered elbow joint ,on left in pic 2 ,looks very suspect and may be weeping. Think you need may need a pro to come take a look.

5. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

Hi, Its the copper pipe that splutters water outside, the condensate pipe is fine. I guess so, I like to ask around also prior to that so I have an understanding of what may be going on. Oh, the copper pipe that is spluttering on the outside is the pipe that has the drip to the left in the image, you can see where it exists the wall.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

OK ,then its as I stated originally. That pipe only has water in when the pressure relief valve opens ,so you need to find out why its lifting .and as water leaks at the joint when water is in the pipe the joint needs sorting out as well. The PRV opening is usually because of a problem with the expansion vessel and opens when system pressure gets around 3 bar. Have you noticed this on the pressure gauge after c/ heating has been on for an hour or two ?

7. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Agree with terrymac - I suspect the expansion vessel is either faulty or needs recharging. The water expands on heating and has nowhere to go other than through the pressure relief valve.

8. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

Hi, OK I have just arrived home expecting the top to be dry as I have switched the heating off for the day. I was wrong...there is water evidence and also the pressure has gone down to 0.5 bar. There is water drips are from the area shown to the right in the image I sent (water output I think). The pipe seen above it is mains water in, that also had a drip on it. Image attached to the post shows the pipes going upwards.

Is there and other diagnosis tests I can do to try and narrow it down, I need to work out if its leaking from the pipes or the boiler? The pipes as you can see are a nightmare to get too, if there was a leak in them, would leak sealer be any use?

Thanks for all your help guys. Really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

9. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Other than dry it off well, then repressurise up to 1.5bar and observe, no - nothing else I can suggest. Do you feel confident to remove the boiler casing to make it easier to see what's going on?

10. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

Yes, I can emove if needed, just need to understand how, I think I have to remove from the underneath first if I rememebr?

11. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

However, is i part of the combustion chamber on this model?

12. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Don't believe so, but if you have any doubts - leave alone.

13. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Two screws underneath at each corner going in at an angle, and two on top.

14. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

I can easily remove it, just read somehwre it was part of a combustion chamber? maybe that was an older model

15. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

Quick update, I have just switched on the heating after leaving it off all day. The pressure had dropped to 0.5 bar. I increased this to 1.5 bar before switching on. After 30 minutes of heating, the pressure is now at 3 bar, water is leaking from the bottom right side of the boiler and also lots of water spluttering out of the external copper outlet.

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

As said earlier ,problem with your expansion vessel .and separate leaks issue. Your gonna need a visit from a pro I thinks

17. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You have an issue with the expansion vessel which may need recharged or replaced.
    Also there is a chance the outlet of the prv isn’t fitted correctly. The prv may also now need replaced.
    The pipework under the boiler all seems quite cramped together so hard to see what is leaking.

18. SnosRap75

SnosRap75 New Member

Yep I thinks its time to call someone in......The boiler hasn't had any issues until this week and has run for around 5 years. So hopefully the PRV outlet should have been fitted correctly unless its something that can happen later after incorrect installation. Thanks for you help everyone, if it helps I will post back here once resolved. Thanks,

19. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the prv outlet isn’t connected correctly at install, when the prv discharges water will leak from the bottom right of the boiler.

20. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Let us know how you get on ,good luck with it.