Worcester Boiler Sludge query

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mandersjohnson, Jul 24, 2018.

1. mandersjohnson

mandersjohnson New Member

Hi,

I have a Worcester Greenstar boiler. It is either 24i Junior or 28i Junior but (embarrassingly) I am not actually sure which...

I have noticed recently that sometimes (not always) the shower will go cold after a few minutes and then eventually warm up again. I got the boiler serviced as it was due anyway and the engineer said that it was most likely from a build up of sludge and that the plate heat exchanger would need replacing and a magna filter would need fitting. He recommended a power flush too but said it was not essential.

His quote (not including the power flush) was £535.82, broken down into:
    Materials - £353.82
    Labour - £200

My questions are:
    1. Does that quote seem reasonable? (I live in South East London)
    2. What are the consequences of not getting the work done?
    3. Can it be kicked down the road a while as it is not a major inconvenience at the moment? Or is more serious damage to other parts in the boiler imminent if I don't get on the case?

My DIY skills are limited to say the least so it probably wouldn't be realistic (or safe!) to recommend that I do any of it myself!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Nick

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'm interested to hear what plumbers think of power flush system. I think it is naff and better to take rads off and wash through then connect hose pipe and run water through pipe work. Guess it's not always practical though. I'm not convinced that power flush works well

4. mandersjohnson

Thanks for the suggestion. Would this mean that the plate heat exchanger wouldn't need replacing? The engineer said that because the filter would be put in the system line before the exchanger it would stay full of sludge.

I'm a little out of my depth here though...!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have no time for powerflushing, can put a lot of stress on a system, much prefer my Magnacleanse,had a friend who CH system was playing, cost her around £300 for powerflushing, achieve basically nothing,remove little crud.
    I fitted my Magnacleanse to the system, remove a lot more crud.

The filter is fitted to the CH return on a combi.

Wayners likes this.
  6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Has the (unknown shower,hopefully a professionally installed unit) been tested to ensure its installed, set up and working correctly with the current boiler and available cold water supply ?

power flush may correct the shower fault,get a guarantee that the power flush will remedy your intermittent problem.

No guarantee,walk away ;)

7. mandersjohnson

Hi, thanks for the initial response. I wasn't clear in my initial post but the shower is just a mixer tap over the bath.

8. The Teach

Is the bath/shower mixer arrangement thermostatic ?

9. mandersjohnson

No, it is just the basic mixer connected to the bath taps.

10. The Teach

they can work very well with correct plumbing,which will include a device to set temperature and prevent scalding.

Better off with an independent thermostatic wall mounted shower mixer valve,connected to suitable same pressure hot&cold water supplies,alterations to the supply pipes to ensure the shower gets priority water flow are essential.

The bath mixer arrangement with a flexi hose is just that ;)

There again the gas boiler could be clogged up,who knows.only onsite dismantling and testing will prove blockages. who is doing your gas boiler maintenance ?