Worcester boiler

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by 1Tilly1, Nov 4, 2021.

1. 1Tilly1

1Tilly1 New Member

Hi
    Boiler was running great until we had it serviced but immediately after engineer left, we noticed the hot water flow was a lot slower from all the hot taps. Does anyone know why this is?
    Regards

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Probsbly the water inlet valve not fully open. Call the engineer back and tell him to fix it. It’s his fault

3. 1Tilly1

1Tilly1 New Member

Thanks for your reply jonathanc.

Called back, got a different engineer. He replaced the flow adaptor. Now we have the flow problem with no hot water, cold out of both taps.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Repeat the process in post 2. Don't let the engineer leave until you are happy with the work, do not pay for any more time or parts. With my Worcester boiler I use the adage' If it ain't bust, don't fix it'.

5. 1Tilly1

1Tilly1 New Member

Yep, regretting that service now!!! Already paid, contract with BG. Had another visit but still none the wiser, calling back Monday to replace/remove combisaver

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Sounds like the engineer is an idiot

the combi saver is pointless. It works on the basis that the boiler is heating water from cold so you run the tap until it gets hot enough. Your boiler probsbly has a small heat store so it’s instant hot.

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Never understood the need for combisave ! It’s nothing more than a thermostatic restricter that reduces flow till the water warms up and gradually increases the flow as the water warms up.

You can do that by just opening a tap enough to start up the boiler.

these need the minimum flow to be adjusted so the boiler starts up and carries on running as well as the temperature setting. To get the maximum energy saving, the minimum flow must be just enough to trigger the boiler but not excessively so. A drop in external water pressure feeding into the boiler can mean it stops functioning. Result no hot water.

in my view another so called energy saving product that under controlled conditions may save a bit of energy but far more trouble than it’s worth.

Much like the electricity saver devices that drop the voltage by about 10v. Works on things like lights as the dimming is not so noticeable but appliances that need to heat simply take longer and net energy usage remains the same.

8. 1Tilly1

1Tilly1 New Member

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

the clue is BG….

just bin the combi saver

10. 1Tilly1

1Tilly1 New Member

Story so far

Boiler working fine.After service,heating and hot water temperature all ok but hot water flow a lot slower

Everything apart from the hot water flow working fine 2 weeks later when different engineer arrives to sort hot water flow problem

He said he had never come across this before and didn't know the cause. He isolated hot water and turn on cold tap and it was back filling through boiler and managed to flood a cupboard in the process. He said he suspected mixer taps blending (after phoning a colleague) and would put everything back to how it was as it was a plumbing issue.

Later that evening, the hot water tap started to run cold. Tried every hot water tap in the house and all running cold. Heating was not on but the radiators started to warm up, checked the boiler and it was definitely set to off. Turned the wall thermostat down and the radiators cooled down.
    So now no hot water whatsoever even though the boiler is firing up when the hot water tap is turned on

Dynarod came following day (Wed)and said that a faulty mixer tap would not affect the flow of the water

BG engineer came (same one) Thursday. After all of the above, still no idea what the problem is. Said all he could do was take the combisave out but needed to order the part. Will be back on Monday.

So we have gone from no issues whatsoever to a slow hot water flow issue to no hot water flow issue.

Can anyone shed any light as to what the real issue might now be so I can get some hot water...please

11. Tillymint143

Tillymint143 New Member

I’m new to this site. It’s better than Netflix! What a cliffhanger….. what happened in the end? Did you get it sorted? The one thing it’s confirmed for me is to not go with BG. Scary.

12. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

BG are a lot better now after they started to loose their market share, although I will let exBG have the final say. Like all salespeople, they will try sell extras for which no doubt they will get a commission. This is no different from Currys. But unlike Currys, BG engineers are rarely forceful or insistent. A polite decline is more than enough.

on that topic there are other national teams that are a lot worse than BG !