Worcester Danesmoor 25/32 Oil

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by MadAsHell, Feb 11, 2020.

1. MadAsHell

MadAsHell New Member

Hi All,
    As a noob I'd like some advice / opinions. I'm not technically minded so bare with me. I moved to a property in last Oct and the Worcester oil boiler fitted was 20 years old and too small for the amount of rads (15 in total). It ran fine but only ran for 1 min before cutting out for a minute the repeating as long as it was on. It also used 500ltrs of oil in a month so I changed it for a Danesmoor 25/32 on the advice of Worcester. Since the new boiler has been installed it runs for 6mins initially shuts down for 2mins, then cycles on 2 mins, off for 3 mins for as long as it is on. It was suggested to me the I should try a room thermostat to get better control of the cycling which an electrician has now have fitted but it doesn't seem to have changed, ie still cycles on & off the same.
    Anybody have any thoughts / suggestions ?
    Thank's
    Mad

2. Vin

Vin Active Member

Is your pump ok and are radiators getting warm/hot? It sounds a little like the hot water isn’t circulating properly and the boiler stat is switching the boiler off

Heat likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

As above, sounds like poor circulation or large heat loss in pipes to boiler if underground

Vin likes this.
  4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Fitted a secondhand Worcester oil boiler in my son's industrial unit for the office, mad the mistake of not fitting an auto air vent on one of the top outlets of the boiler. It caused the symptoms you describe. What was happening, air was trapped in the top of the heat exchanger and limiting the flow of water through it, the pump was mounted lower than the top on the outlet so the air could not be pushed out of the heat exchanger. Fitted an auto vent and all went well.

Vin likes this.
  5. MadAsHell

MadAsHell New Member

Thanks for all your replies guys.
    Vin - Yes rads are hot and pump seems ok. It is one of those with a little switch on the side that changes the speed which I switched to see if it was working.Sounds ok, not noisy or anything.
    Heat - Don't have any underground pipes. Also have had that system / rad cleaner (sentinal) put in that you can get from screwfix. I do have one of those magnatec filters and after some initial **** inside is looking ok.
    Bob - Sounds a bit technical to me so how can I verify this and what to do about it?? When you say the pump do you mean the circulating pump for the C/H system? If so that is upstairs in the airing cupboard and the boiler is on the ground floor in the utility room.
    At least I had something to work with now thanks to you. If you think of anything else please post. I'll keep checking back.
    Mad.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

The pump was mounted in the front of the boiler enclosure, I doubt if your issue is the same as the one I encountered.