Worcester Greenstar Boiler losing pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fazse, Nov 8, 2018 at 12:34 AM.

1. fazse

fazse New Member

Hi everyone, need a little help. I have read other threads about losing pressure and done some checks but my particular problem is not mentioned on previous posts.

I’ve bought a house and noticed the boiler is losing pressure. Checked radiators and pipework for any leaks...all seems ok (not checked under floorboards yet).

With CH on the pressure seems to be stable, rising a little as expected. I checked the pressure relief pipe outside and it was slightly damp, so will get PRV replaced at some point.

But I’ve noticed when the boiler is turned off, it’s losing pressure. The condensate pipe outside is dripping. Even if the boiler is off for a few days I can see a wet patch below the condensate pipe, the pressure relief pipe is dry. I’m assuming this is the reason why the boiler is losing pressure.

Any one got any thoughts as to why the condensate pipe is dripping?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

2. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

Heat exchanger has a pin hole leak. Call in a professional gas engineer.

3. fazse

fazse New Member

Thanks for the reply Terrymac,

I have been checking prices for a heat exchanger and a new one costs £500. Is it possible to repair a heat exchanger?

Will I do any harm to the boiler if I continue to use the boiler in this condition and top up the pressure regularly?

4. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

Take a pic of the condensate pipe. (Confirm it’s the correct pipe)

I’m not sure how you can see it’s dripping, it should be sealed pipework. Unless it’s been disconnected.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

How old is the boiler. It may be under warranty.

6. fazse

fazse New Member

The boiler is around 10 years old.

The plastic condensate pipe on the outside wall is covered by another longer plastic tube which runs down the wall finishing above the ground. The pipe is dripping into stone chippings, there is a wet patch below the tube, also the tube is wet/damp at the bottom.

I will upload a daylight photo tomorrow.

7. fazse

fazse New Member

This is a picture of the pipes outside. The overflow pipe looks like it’s been leaking in the past as the colour of the wall is a bit bronze but it was dry today.

The plastic pipe is the condensate pipe which is leaking. The boiler has been off for 3 days and you can see a wet patch below the pipe, the pipe is wet/damp to touch at the bottom.

Attached Files:

8. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

What is the copper pipe in the second picture?
    Is it gas.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

Is it possible to remove the black plastic pipe. If so then tie something around the white pipe to contain any water.
    This eliminates any water running down between the 2 pipes messing with the test.

Has the pressure still been dropping with the boiler off

10. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

You could also top up pressure to 2 bar then isolate the boiler at the flow and return valves.
    This will confirm it’s the heat exchanger.

It looks almost certain it’s the heat exchanger.

11. fazse

fazse New Member

Yes the pressure is dropping when the boiler is off.

The copper pipe is a gas pipe to the boiler.

Last week I topped the pressure up and isolated the boiler, the pressure still dropped.

12. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

Sounds almost certain to be the main exchanger.

Can it be repaired? Not in any way I know. I guess there's no harm in trying a leak sealer in your system water to try and gain yourself a bit of time to save up for a new boiler - it's hardly worth having the exchanger replaced unless you can somehow get it done cheaply, eg from a trusted 2nd-hand part if such a think exists.

It's a shame it's 10 years old; if it had been significantly less than this then I reckon you'd have a decent chance of getting WB to pay for it.

13. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

Remove all leaves and debris from around that gas pipe.
    The waste from the condensate pipe is corrosive to copper.
    The condensate pipe has been terminated incorrectly from looking at that picture.

14. fazse

fazse New Member

It must have been like that for 10 years, I’m surprised it’s not been changed. Should it terminate into the drains

15. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

Waste drains or a soak away.
    I would be checking the gas pipe for corrosion

16. fazse

fazse New Member

Would the stone chippings area be classed as a soak away, the plastic pipe could be angled away from the gas pipe.

I’ve drawn a red line form the condensate pipe to the waste drain, would that be a correct setup?

Attached Files:

17. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

Yes. Better than current set up.
    Soak away has to be about 600mm from building.

18. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

What’s the black pipe on the ground.
    Looks like it should be on the boiler flue:

19. fazse

fazse New Member

I think it’s a redundant waste pipe. Where would that go on the flue? The flue sticks out of the wall as normal.

20. Mike83

Mike83 Active Member

Looks like a plume management kit for boiler