Work boots

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Tonyfix65, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Tonyfix65

Tonyfix65 New Member

Do employees have to wear safety boots provided or can they wear a pair that they own?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Provided are free and approved for the use required which could be a company insurance requirement, do you have feet medical issues.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  3. WildCat

WildCat Well-Known Member

I used to employ women. In the end I just gave them Screwfix/Toolstation/Cromwells catalogues and told them to pick the right colour boots and clothes and give me the product codes, or gave them a budget and told them to give me receipts.

4. In theory there should be a risk assessment on the environmental conditions and the footwear should be chosen based on that. i.e if there is oil the footwear should be oil resistant, if there is a danger of sharp edges underneath penetrating the soes, there should be a reinforced sole etc etc etc.

Edit: As long as the boots comply with that it shouldn't be a problem. The company may reimburse some of the cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2024
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Does the company provide prescription safety spectacles, would you purchase those yourself.

6. Tonyfix65

Tonyfix65 New Member

Its more about comfort really I'm no spring chicken anymore :)

I've had other safety boots in the past but for the last 22 years I have worn 'Magnum' Safety boots (I have always paid for my own as I have always had that choice) and they have lasted me for years and remained comfortable.

The DeWalt ones I have been given are not great to be honest, but my question was about whether I had the choice to wear my own or do I have to wear the ones provided.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Some companies will provide boots (and PPE n general) that meet their requirements for the risks they've assessed you're likely to encounter.

They may even insist that you wear their approved PPE as a requirement of their insurance policy.

It may also be stipulated in your employer's contracts for site personnel - refineries and utilities for instance are pretty heavy on that sort of control.

Just ask the H&S manager or your rep. If you don't like it, walk.

I spent several years working for a company that was very proactive about health and safety and it was generally seen and supported as a positive thing. A lot depends on how it's sold to the end user I suppose.