work top joint average uk price

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by parana, Apr 18, 2010.

1. parana

parana New Member

Hi
    we have just had the door question again, how about work top pricing. normally the price of a masons mitre gets lost in the overall cost of a kitchen fit, but i have had quite a few enquires just for this join which i price at £50 (south wales) and the look on their face is sometimes quite comical. so what is the average uk price???

P

2. speed

speed New Member

£80

3. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

About £70 around here.., Granted companies base their prices around individual processes, but when punters ask, it always strikes me as academic, because you don't cut the joint and walk away.. there's always the fitting of the w/top in place, invariably sink/hob, potential edging. You may as well give a price that reflects a days labour @ whatever your rate is..

4. parana

parana New Member

I Agree wizwoz but i have had a couple of jobs lately from people who are fitting themselves but just want the joint, but as you say there is more to it than just cutting the joint. as a whole process i itemise each step

£25 per w/t handling per 3m length ( takes into account cutting to length)
    £50 for the joint
    £25 sink/hob cut
    £15 edging per edge

seriously thinking of moving back to SE, it is a bit of a joke down here. material costs are the same here as in the rest of uk but the mentality is very 70's (no offence meant)

p

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Whereabouts are you Parana ?

I'm in South East London.......Greenwich, obviously one of the nicer parts but people still have a 70s attitude towards pricing.....and getting from A to B for materials is just getting worse.

We would love to move out to 'the Shires' for a better quality of life, but I have to be sure the work is there. Where I am now, there is a lot of work within 3 square miles.....always varied enough to keep me interested.....

Put is this way.....I think the grass always appears to be greener somewhere else.....wherever you live.

I think I'll wait till the Olympics are over once I've rented my gaff out for £5K a week.........(yeah right).

6. parana

parana New Member

Central swansea, but often have to travel an average 20mile round trip to get work quite often out to the brecon borders (40-50mile round trip) From Dartford originally. it is pretty though, but pretty dont pay the bills!!!

P

7. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

".......but pretty dont pay the bills!!!........."

It does if you're a brass......but I doubt you've got the legs for it though.

Might have to have a shave first.....:p

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Years ago I half watched a documentary about a transvestite prostitute, he was no looker, and he reckoned that the majority of his punters were builders :)

9. paddyodoors

paddyodoors New Member

no comment